Suprise

“Can you please put on something nice? Mark and his parents will be here soon.”

I stared across the table at my mother. She was too busy setting down our fancy china to see me glare back at her. Standing from the table, I grabbed my school bag and headed up to my room. Once I got inside, I locked the door and dialed Colton’s number on my phone.

I didn’t know what to expect as the phone rang.

“Hello?”

The sound of his voice was instantly soothing, and I found myself sighing in relief. “Hey.”

“Sutton? Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, I was just wondering what you were doing. I mean I know you said you’d be busy for a few days but I was thinking about checking off a few things…and—“

“Say no more, I’m at your service,” he said before I could start rambling.

I felt my lips form a smile as a giddy feeling took over me. “But there’s a catch,” he added.

“Okay?”

“I’m babysitting my sisters.”

I laughed. “Aren’t they a little young for the rebellious life?”

He chuckled. “I’ll take care of it; just meet me at the mall okay?”

I thought about asking for a ride, but I didn’t feel like bothering. The mall would only be a ten minute walk anyway. “See you soon.”

I hung up the phone and headed for my closet. The baggy sweatpants and sweatshirt I was in was comfortable, but I wanted to look good for Colton. He always looked good, no matter what he wore, or should I say what he didn’t wear. Shaking the shirtless thought of Colton out of my head, I pulled on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and an oversized sweater. I didn’t want Colton to think I was trying too hard…

Just as I grabbed my bag and pulled my hair into a messy bun the doorbell rang. The sound of laughter echoed through the house, and just as I was opening the balcony door I heard my mother tell Mark to come get me. In a rush, I dropped my bag over the side of the balcony and swung myself over. After hanging for a few seconds, I let myself drop to the ground rather ungracefully. Grabbing my bag, I darted off into the street and out of sight.

My heart was pounding by the time I made it to the edge of my neighborhood. No doubt my parents would be furious. Not only had I snuck out, but I’d snuck out to see Colton and I probably embarrassed them in front of Mark’s parents. I shook my head and refused to let myself think of how much trouble I would be in once I got home. The only thing that mattered was that I would be spending my night with Colton, even if that meant being rounded for forever. The cool night air felt good against my face as I made my way in the direction of the mall. Walking in the dark reminded me of the night Melody died. It felt so long ago, yet everything was so clear in my mind. I had been so furious at her for leaving me that I didn’t even think about something happening to her.

I pictured the party—my first ever party may I remind you—and smiled when I remembered Colton’s lips on mine. He had stolen my first kiss, and although I had been mad about it, I didn’t care anymore. Colton had also stolen my second kiss, if that was even a thing. He had only done it to help me cross off a number on the list, but to me it meant more. I had let myself come to care a lot for Colton in the past month or so, even when I told myself from the beginning not to care. It was hard not to care when you spent a lot of your time with a person you truly loved to me around. Not liked, but loved.

Loved.

Love?

The word was foreign to me when it came to guys. Sure I “loved” watching The Vampire Diaries because I “loved” seeing Joseph Morgan shirtless, but it was different with Colton. I mean I loved seeing him shirtless, but I loved hearing his voice and loved talking to him. But I wasn’t in love with Colton, I couldn’t be. After what happened to Melody I never wanted to love someone so much. Because if you love something you lose it, and then you’re left with nothing.