Chapter 14

I wake up, on the floor of the TARDIS.

"You alright?" I hear the Doctor ask, without even looking up from the book he was reading.

"I guess. I appreciate your concern." I say sarcastically.

"Well, you were still breathing. All the signs of complete bodily exhaustion. I knew you were fine."

"Mhm. I mean, honestly, it does happen to me a lot," I say, standing up.

There's silence. "So, I've been doing some reading," he says, breaking the quietness.

"Oh! About what?" I ask.

"About you," he says.

"Me? What could I have possibly done to end up in, well, anything?"

"Well, it's a really old story. It's about the Last Great Time War, and during the war, a Time Lord family sent their only child to Earth. She was sent many years into the future. Nobody knew her name. Now, she wasn't just any Time Lord, for her parents gave all of their regeneration energy to her, so she could regenerate many, many times. But they didn't just send her down to Earth, though. They changed her to a human, and she would stay that way, without any memory of her past, until she died. At that time, she would regenerate a Time Lord. I personally never really thought it was real, though, I always thought it was just a myth."

"Does it say anything about why I can teleport? Or about the Dreams?" I ask.

"Unfortunately, no. But, if I had to make a guess, you are somehow linked to time. I have no idea how, but you are. So, you could go from one place to another, somehow. You were sort of split off into two different people, one human, your reality form, and a Time Lord form, that was more of a ghost print, not strong enough to actually do much. You would switch between the two, and the Time Lord form was somehow linked to me. It probably has to do with your telepathic abilities. Then, once you died, your two forms linked together, and you once again, became Time Lord."

"Well," I say, "That sounds reasonable. It's just, all so complicated, and I'll probably never have real answers, but, that's been my whole entire life anyway."

We don't talk for a while. I stare off into nowhere, thinking.

"Why do I feel like I know you so well?" He asks, suddenly.

"What? I don't know how you would know me. I know you really well, though."

"Weird question, but, exactly how old are you?"

"Thirteen..." I say.

"You sure?"

"I mean, I guess. I never knew who my parents were, so it's not like I know my birthday or anything. My age was just estimated. Every New Year, I just say I'm a year older."

"What do you remember about your past, when you were little? People, friends, places."

"Well, I don't know! I lived in a foster home with some crazy people for a while, and..." I stop, realizing I can't think of a specific memory past the age of nine.

"It wouldn't be that hard to block all of your past memories, add perception filters to people you know, as well as to you, and send you on your way as a 'human'," The Doctor say, slowly.

"So, could I be that girl? From the story, I mean. If my parents gave me all of their regeneration energy, did a bunch of things to my brain, blocking memories and replacing them, and then sent me to Earth, in the future, making my foster parents believe I was with them for however many years prior. I guess, that could work. Then, if that's true, I have no idea how old I am."