Chapter 54

Past Brielle has had enough chances with her worthless monologues. It's about time it was my turn. And I have some things that I would like to discuss.

Because in terms of his life, I've seen a lot.

I've watched new life form and creations burn from the point of view of a different person.

And then, I was thrown head first into...all of this. Suddenly I was seeing things through my own eyes, and I tried to pretend that it didn't scare the life out of me...

I'm getting ahead of myself. Sorry, it's hard not to.

But my point is - what I'm trying to get to is...I don't know. I don't even know.

I guess I'm trying to say things used to be so simple when all of this started. Maybe I didn't know that then, but looking back, my life was so easy.

Now, I'm running from things at a pace I'm not certain I will be able to keep up for much longer.

If I am to continue to live this life, and remain the person I have been trying to be, then...I think I may need his help.

But at the same time, that is about the last thing I would ever ask from him.

And if I've learned anything, it's that the Doctor and I, when it comes to our thoughts, our hopes, our way of life, we are practically identical. So, if anything, this is going to be...a little awkward.

~🌺~

"I'm sorry, I just...didn't know who else to call. Although, I have to say, I wasn't really expecting you."

"Yes, well...you did call me."

"No, I mean...I was expecting you, just not this version of you. I literally just got off the TARDIS with you two regenerations back. You know, the skinny one."

"That's the thing with time travelers, you never really know which stage of life you're going to get."

"Yeah, well...surprise, I guess. I really don't care right now."

"I suppose not...considering everything," the Doctor says.

I don't say anything, I just stare at my internally demolished house. "This was..." I trail off, "the only thing I could really call my own. I mean, I hated this place. The roof leaked, there were drafts everywhere, and every time the wind blew pieces of the siding would fall off. But...this was my home."

"And you know who did this? And why?"

"Who?" I echo, "no, not for certain. I have a guess, though. Why?" I hold up my bag, containing my journal, as well as my past-self's journal. "I think...they were looking for this."

"But they didn't get anything...nothing that could put you in harm's way?"

"These journals are the only items I own that I would never want to fall in another person's hands, which is why I always keep them in my sight. No, this house is just a house."

"But they found it. Nobody can find this place. I have difficulty finding this place."

"Yeah...well, they did," I sigh. "So...I don't know. But I'm not safe here anymore. I'm probably not safe anywhere but...definitely not here."