Chapter 63

I fold my hands in my lap. "So," I say, as accusingly as I can possibly muster, "it's officially all clear, then?" I tap my heel on the ground, staring absentmindedly around the office.

     Kate doesn't bother looking up from her work. "You could say that."

     "Well, then." I sharply tilt my head. "This has been fun, Kate. I mean, I've had a blast watching you fill out paperwork for the past three hours. But, here's an idea I've had. Sitting here." I stand up, and take a rather large step closer to her. "In order to avoid today's circumstances from happening again, how about you never call me...um, ever, okay? Obviously, this wasn't a fantastic situation for either of us, so, if at all possible, how about we avoid each other at all costs from now on?" I stop. "Gosh, I've been saying that more and more, lately."

     Kate slowly shakes her head, still avoiding eye contact with me."That all depends on you. You know I can't guarantee anything."

     "Hmm, well I can." I frown crookedly. "I think I'm gonna stay a long ways away. See, I'm not looking to work with you anytime soon. Or, you know...be imprisoned. So, how about next time, when I'm 'in the neighborhood,' and you need help...I don't know. Why don't you just wait it out, and re-dial the Doctor. I think we're done." I pause. "Also that um...that captain guy? Yeah. Um. Jameson? Janeson? Whatever. If you want to spill a glass of - uh, let's go with iced coffee - on him...for me. I'd be eternally grateful."

~🌺~

     I blink several times, in an attempt to clear my head. "How did we get here?"

     The Doctor stops in front of me, before crouching over a panel of the TARDIS. "What?" He calls. I walk over to the opening in the TARDIS floor. I see a shot of sparks shoot out from where he's working.

     "'What?' Really? I mean," I shake my head in disbelief. "I was just...we were...but - I can't believe them!"

     The Doctor lets out a long, audible sigh. "What?"

     "They messed with my memories, again."

     "That was...hours ago."

     I throw my hands up, pacing around the TARDIS console. "Yeah, but apparently it worked a little too well. I - I don't-" I scoff. "I just became...lucid or whatever, like two seconds ago. So, either you're an incredibly boring person to talk to, or they screwed up again."

     "Well...are you okay now?"

     "No." I snap, crossing my arms. "Why would I be anywhere near okay? They screwed up so." I laugh. "So fantastically, that they couldn't even wipe my memory correctly. Because guess what, Doctor? I remember everything that happened there, and I remember nothing from the past....how long's it been?"

     "I-" he thinks for a second. "it's been a few hours, Bree."

     "Nice! Nice." I groan. "This is great. So, what'd they do to you?"

     "Uh." The Doctor gets up to reconnect a set of wires from across the TARDIS. He very obviously avoids eye contact with me. I'm noticing a trend.

     "Wow. Nothing? I ask. So, your memories just...what's that, a work perk? Then, why'd you let them do that to me?"

     "I wasn't there!" He argues. "I had left hours ago. And then you showed up and invited yourself into the TARDIS. Talking about the...bees."

"I don't remember any of that." I say.

"Well, that's what happened. Moving on." The Doctor says dramatically. "Hold that switch there." He points towards the TARDIS console, and I gasp with a sarcastic tone.