Chapter 60

Why, you sure have been a busy bee.

So, how's the new digs, Brielle?

Pretty safe and secure, am I right?

I did my best with that place. And honestly, in the end, it became one of my favorite hideouts. If only the reception wasn't so bad...

All right. Look, I know what you're thinking. Because I'm thinking it, too.

Your once-thick pile of my journal pages is getting ever thin.

The clock is still ticking, and the day in which my life ends and yours begins is getting closer.

I'm not going to lie, Brielle, I'm kind of scared.

Over the years at that...place, they washed all emotions out of me. But the longer I've spent away from there, the more and more feelings seem to trickle back in.

Not the good ones, though, like joy and happiness. No. I'll never truly feel those again.

No. I'm talking about pain. And resentment. And most of all, fear.

I'm terrified of everything. Even though I know the Time Lords are long gone, I still...

You don't care about that, do you?

Right. You care more about the version of me that fought in the war.

All the people I killed. Oh, Brielle...

I know I promised answers, and you will get them soon enough. But, my days are numbered, and you might not be getting all that information directly from me.

Because, honestly, even I don't have all the answers. And I won't be around much longer to guide you through your troubles.

Like I've said before, the Doctor is your biggest ally through all this. Trust me. Trust him. He is well aware of how much you're suffering right now, but he also knows what things aren't going to make that better.

But when I'm gone - and I will be - the Doctor is the only person that you'll have of your past. He'll be the only one with answers, and he knows that. So be patient. He's just following orders.

Just...be nice to him. But, at the same time...keep him on his toes for me, will you?

That's all for now, Brielle. Thanks for sticking through all this.

-The one and only

~🌺~

"Take. The exit." I moan, holding my head in my hands.

"What? No! The thing said to wait for the next one." Alyssa waves a hand at her phone, which has been reading out directions to us for the past hour.

"Yeah, well, the thing is wrong! Take this exit." I point to the sign as we drive under it.

"No, Bree."

"Alyssa," I whine, leaning on the car window, "you're going to miss the exit."

"Yeah, I'm doing that on purpose."

"Look, I'm the one with the photographic memo-"

"Right, now you bring up the photographic memory!" She complains, "But when we were at that library quiz-night you sure didn't have any special memory then!"

"Would you stop bringing up the stupid quiz-night?" I groan, recalling the disastrous event. "I had just gotten back from a desert planet during a solar flare. I had heat stroke!"