Chapter 67

Stepping out of the TARDIS, my feet fall into green, damp grass. As I look around, I realize we landed squarely on top of a steep hill. I take in the surroundings of the earth-like planet, having to squint in the sliver of sunlight creeping over a dense forest below.

     "Huh." I say, as the Doctor steps out of the TARDIS. "You sure this is right?"

     "Of course...probably."

     "So...where are we then?"

     He passes by me. "Well, knowing would ruin all the fun, wouldn't it?" he half-yells, going farther down the hill in order to get a better line of sight.

     I follow after him, crossing my arms. "I mean...true. But I was expecting people with guns and...swinging saw-blades. Not Little House on the Prairie."

     We continue down the hill, until the Doctor suddenly stops and turns around. "Where are we going, then?"

     "No idea. I was kinda following you."

     "Oh. Right." He turns back around. "Well...okay, then. There doesn't appear to be..." His expression changes. "Actually, there's a house down there. Or some type of building." He points off into the distance. "That could be a good starting point."

     "Okay, look man, I love the optimism." I say. "But this just...I don't know. Something seems off about this."

     The Doctor keeps walking down the hill, sliding every few steps from the wetness of the grass. "I've got a really good feeling about this, Bree! I think we should at least have a look."

     I shake my head, muttering to myself. "Fine. Fine. But enough of this hiking nonsense."

     I teleport down to the base of the hill, leaning against a tree as I watch the Doctor continue his slow downward projectory. "Which direction?" I ask as he nears the bottom.

     He stops next to me. "That building looked about two miles North from here. We head that way."

     He starts across the land, connecting to a worn path that weaves through the woods ahead. I march behind him, trying to keep up with his surprisingly quick pace. "Dude," I call, "look, I'm sick of doing all this short-range teleportation, it's boring. So I'm more than happy with walking a little ways. But I refuse to do so if I'm going to be trailing a hundred feet behind you the entire time. Wait up."

~🌺~

     "I don't believe you."

     I shrug. "Well, believe it, man." I pause to step over a large root protruding from the ground, "swear on my life."

     "No. You're leaving something out." The Doctor says. "Because that sort of thing should not have happened."

     "Well, I'm telling you the truth." I say. "I went to them - as one does - asking for help. Then one thing leads to another, and they're threatening to shoot me on sight for breaking Convention 15 by being 'impossibly difficult.'"

     He shakes his head in disbelief. "The Shadow Proclamation can be inpatient at times, but that-"

     "-well, in their defense," I argue, "I was being very difficult. Plus, they were holding up a bit of a grudge for how I handled things with the Phidifisions. Even though I technically did everything they asked." I add, bitterly.

     "I just don't see why you feel the need to go so far as to put your life in danger in order to win an argument."

     I halt my pace for a second. "Yeah, that'd mean something if it was coming from anyone other than you." I say, walking forward through the dense woods. "And it's not like I was just there to pick a fight. I mean, if you think about it, I was doing essentially going to the police for help. It's not my fault I'm on their 'hold a grudge' list." I sigh. "Honestly, as much as I doubt it, a small part of me wishes all of this," I motion to the air, "leads to something with Project Celadon. Because I'm real sick of how much they're consuming my life right now."