Chapter 33

"Congrats? We practically get ourselves killed, and they say congrats? What?" These people got some nerve.

"Should we..."

"I mean, congrats is something you say to someone when they do good on a test, not 'congrats, you're not dead!'" I continue.

"Open the door, or..." Clara says.

"-Just...why? Oh, door? Yes sorry, opening door," I say, nudging the door open, "So again, what are we going to do once we find this 'thing' that's causing the strange readings or whatever? If it is even a thing at all?"

"Well, we go in there...and...stop it," the Doctor says.

"How?" I whisper, suddenly serious, "Doctor, I didn't come here to kill it."

"No. We're not killing anything without a good reason."

"Good," I breathe, "Good, so are we just gonna...reason it into submission?"

"That works."

"Cool," I say, nudging past the door. I walk into a room full of computer machinery. Whirring and clanging practically bleeds from every corner of huge room. "Wow, this isn't painful at all."

I tiptoe around knotted wires and cords splayed across the tile floor, heading deeper into the room. "Are you guys coming or not?"

"We're over here!" Clara shouts.

"You seriously need to work on your verbal navigation skills," I mumble, mainly to myself, "Doctor, should I be pushing buttons?"

"Uh, no. Unless you want to blow up this entire building."

"Mm...well it has it coming."

"Don't touch anything!"

"Alright, alright! Geez."

I continue through the miscellaneous piles of colored wires and past blinking screens. "What am I looking for exactly?"

"A big scary monster."

"Cool, cool. Big scary monster that wants to eat my face off. I am soo glad I came with you. I mean, really. Thank you for this life changing experience."

"You're welcome."

"I was being sarcastic."

"So was I."

I sigh, shaking my head, and continue into the depths of the bleeping forest. Ugh, no wonder this creature is so dangerous, if I had to live amongst all this noise, I would probably want to kill people too.

"Where'd you guys go?" I ask.

"I'm here."

"I'm over here."

"You mean we're all split up?" I shout. "Have either of you ever seen a horror movie? We're the three rowdy teenagers at the first five minutes. The one idiot thinks it's a great idea to all split up when they hear the spooky noises, and then the girl in the boots and the jean shorts gets brutally murdered!"

"Who are you calling the idiot?" The Doctor's voice calls, somewhere off to my left.

"You can fill in the blanks however you like."

"Can you two walk without your mouths open?!" I hear Clara suddenly yell way off in the corner of the room.

"Uh...no," I reply.

"Not really," The Doctor's voice echoes.

"Good, now that we got that figured out-"

"No, but don't you see! It's not the talking, it's just the...smart remarks!" Clara says, "Someone says something, and then another person says something, and then someone gets offended. Then, someone uses so much sarcasm in one sentence that you have no idea what they actually meant!"