Chapter 45

"Ms. Taylor," I call, accidentally elbowing a kid in the ribs as I rush over to her, "What's...what's going on?"

"Hmm?" She hums, turning towards me. "Oh, Brielle. It's okay, some lights broke, and they contained a small amount of mercury. We're letting the school clear out a bit before we resume classes. Fortunately, it's a beautiful day," she smiles.

"Yeah. It's...it's sunny all right," I nod awkwardly, staring at the sky. "So I was wondering, I forgot...my...something back in the building. I really need it so...any chance I could go get it?"

"Well," she sighs, "Probably not. We're only going to be out here for a few hours, so-"

"No, no, never mind." I interrupt. It was worth a shot. "Say, do you know where Emily is?"

"Which Emily."

"Emily...the ghost Emily."

"Emily Abell?" Ms. Taylor asks, "She was in the same classroom as you, so you should ask the teacher."

"Right, but...um-"

"Excuse me, I have to go talk to the rest of the staff," she says, walking over to a group of teachers rounding up students.

"So this is great," I say, walking back over to the Doctor, "Nobody knows where Emily is, and now I can't get into the school to look for her. And because of that genius stunt you made me pull, I'm weak enough that teleportation is out of the picture. You have any bright ideas? Because I give up."

"Yes! Well, no..." he trails off. "If I could just get the TARDIS back."

"Which is in the school?"

"Yes."

"Great." I sigh. "I doubt they'll let anyone back in for at least the next hour. But if Emily is still in there...do you know if there are any other entrances?"

"I believe there's two in the back."

"Do you have your screwdriver?" I ask.

"Uh..." He fumbles around in his pockets before pulling it out, "Yes!"

"Awesome, give it to me."

"What, no!" He holds the screwdriver over his head so I can't reach it. "No!"

"Look man," I start, "Everyone here thinks you're a teacher. Those are your students." I point to a group of kids sitting on the ground near us. "It will take people longer to notice a missing student than a missing teacher. Now go run along and cause a scene."

"You go cause a scene." He argues, "Even if you got in," he pauses, "you don't even know how to fly the TARDIS!"

"What do you - ugh," I groan, "I've probably watched you fly the TARDIS a thousand times. Now give me your screwdriver and figure out how to get everyone's attention."

"No! I will not do that. No...no way!"

"ARE YOU-" I stop and tap my foot a few times before continuing, "Somebody has to distract everyone, and if neither of us want to do it...flip a coin. Loser has to do it?" I reach into my pocket and pull out a dime. "Haha! Heads or tails?"

"...What?"

"You're getting tails, then." I smirk.

"...Fine!" He says.

"Fine." I mumble, tossing the coin into the air.

~🌺~

"Help! I'm having an emotional crisis," I cry, rolling around in the grass. Nearly every student turns to look. Some of the teachers jog over to me, clearly concerned that one of their students just burst into tears and collapsed to the ground.