Chapter 52

"How...did we manage to get ourselves here?" Donna asks, not really directing the question at any specific person.

"Well," the Doctor trails off,"this is definitely not exactly how I expecting the evening to play out."

"Ha," I add, "yeah, yeah. Me too. Anyway, not to change the subject or anything, but quick question-"

I get cut off as Peridot and her sister, Morgan, enter the dungeon. You heard me right. Dungeon.

"Morgan, I still don't understand," Peridot says as she avoids eye contact with everyone, "the Doctor and his friends were all just trying to help, and Brielle-"

"It's. Bree!" I shout, wiggling around uncomfortably.

"Maybe you were to young," Morgan says, "to remember when they taught us what the Last Great Time War had done to the Phidifision empire, but I wasn't."

"The Time War?" Peridot asks, genuinely confused, "that's what this is about? Morgan, that affected us so little. The Time Lord's, their people, were right in the middle of it. The Doctor and Brielle-"

"-Bree!"

"-if the stories are true, they are all that is left of them. So the fact that you believe they must...die..."

"Peridot, you clearly do not understand-"

"Hey, so, I totally hate to break up this sibling bonding time," I interject, "but, you know, the only reason we're even here in the first place is because your brother is going to die. Tonight. So Morgan, I don't know if Peridot's told you, but-"

"I am quite aware of what is about to happen to him," Morgan snaps.

Peridot stares at her sideways, "But I never told you that."

"Oh. My," Donna gasps, "it's her. She's gonna off him, if she hasn't already." I catch the Doctor's eye and we stare at each other in a mix of pure confusion and disbelief. We really messed up this time.

"No, Morgan, that can't be true." Peridot stares at her sister's face, and her features slowly twist into a look of pure horror, "why?"

"Sister, you must understand, it's not as simple as you think it is."

"That what is?"

"Everything. You, me, him."

"Murder of the king, - our brother - you'd be executed before he is even laid to rest."

"No one will know. Everything is planned out."

"Then why tell me?"

Morgan shakes her head in disbelief, "all our lives we were taught to protect him, give our lives to our brother, and why? Because he was born first? With him gone, I will be next in line for the throne, and together, we can make a better world. He is a weak ruler, he believes if we are docile, the rest of the universe will leave us alone. Even after...her." She scowls at me.

"What the heck did I do?" I ask, accusingly. I look to the Doctor for some guidance, but now he's playing the avoid-eye-contact game.

"Silence."

"Uh, no," I continue, "also, quick question, and this one is up for grabs for whoever, why am I the only one who's upside down?" I jerk around, maneuvering myself so that I'm facing Morgan and Peridot. "Does nobody else care? Hello? Why am I tied to a bar from the ceiling like a dead pig? All alone? Why are the Doctor and Donna in a different cell than me?"