A Little Less Pain

I looked down at the pile of unscrubbed dishes I had yet to clean.

I glanced cautiously at the green wall clock.It was three o clock as of now,and my soap covered hands started shaking with worry.

Liam,my foster father was to be home by three twenty.

I knew that if the dishes weren't clean and put away by the time he was back that he would freak out.

I picked up yet another scalding hot plate from the sink and started scrubbing it with a sponge.Yesterdays mcrowave lasainina swirled down the drain with a gulp,leaving the dish clear white.

The front door slammed open, banging against the wall in process.The dish stacks rattled slightley,making a knot form in my throat.I swallowed roughly,hurriedly putting the clean dishes into the open cupboard.

"What is this?" Liam's deep over ruling voice shouted, making me jump and drop the clean bowl I was holding onto the unforgiving floor.

Glass shattered, sending shards into every direction.

Too scared to look up,I bent over and swept a few shards into my left hand.

"What the hell Hadley!" Liam roared, jerking me up by my right arm, "Are you stupid?" He yanked the shards from my hand, scratching me in the process.My palm stung, causing me to wince.

"You're no good just like you're rotten sister Callie." He growled, pulling me by my sweatshirts sleeve towards the back door.

"If Im lucky you'll run away." He spat, pushing me out of the house and slamming the door behind him.

I sat down, pulling my knees to my chest and looked at my hand.

Some blood was drying on the cuts, but not enough to make me worry.I picked out some of the smaller shards and pressed my hand against the cool concrete stair.

'Rotten sister Callie.' His words replayed in my head.I knew Callie wasn't no good or rotten, he just thinks she is.Where is she now anyways?The last time I saw her she was being buckled into a police car.

I know she was in deep trouble,but was she back in the system?Trying to find a permanent home to live in?Maybe she was at a reformatory,like Liam told her she would be.Its been three months since I last her, was she happy?

I let my mind wander not noticing how long i'd been out in the cold.I leaned against the back door,my mind full of thoughts and what ifs about Callie.

"Hadley get in here and finish the dishes!" Liam yelled out of no where, causing me to jump out from my daze.

I stood up, carefully dusting off my pants and pulling open the door again.The strong scent of cigarettes filled my nostrils,making me want to gag in disgust.

I walked over to the sink, seeing new dishes piled up.I rolled my eyes,picking up the same sponge and turning on the hot water.

In the middle of scrubbing a pan, the door bell rang.I tried to ignore it, but whoever was ringing it kept doing it repeatedly,I decided that continuing the dishes was the smartest move for me.

"What are you deaf?"Liam said harshly,and he walked past to open the door.I peeked my head past the wall, seeing a boy standing at the door, claiming to be lost.

I shrugged it off, starting back on the pan.I heard the back door squeek, but I figured it was the wind.

"Hadley." I heard faintly, causing me to whip my head around.I saw Callie standing half in and half out of the house.

I breathed on through my nose, to stop from shrieking in joy.I waved, motioning for her to step in.

"What do you think you're doing?" Liam asked roughly, his voice full of shock at seeing Callie.

Callie threw her arms up in surrender, trying to negotiate with Liam.

Things got bad really quick.

Liam reached into a shelf, and pulled out a hand gun.The boy at the door stepped in, making me realize that this was a set up by Callie.

Liam accusingly pointed the gun at the boy, and back at Callie.

When Liam's finger went to the trigger, the front door and backdoor busted open.

"Put the gun down and put your hands up." A woman's voice commanded, I looked in awe as Liam got onto his knees, claiming that it was his house.

The male police man started cuffing Liam, and Callie ran over to me.I dropped the pan into the sink, wrapping my arms around her waist and shoving my head into her should.

My knees shook, from suspense, as I saw the police man push Liam out of the house.

"It's over now Hadley you're safe."Callie whispered into my hair, pulling me closer.