Chapter Three

I trudged into the kitchen, trying to flatten out my hair.

Last night, I slept on the floor in the living room, which didn't help my shoulders at all.

"Good morning sunshine!" Steph said, picking up a plate stacked with pancakes.I scrunched my nose at the sound of Mariana pushing back her chair.

"You better get changed quick, you all have to walk today." Leena stated, pressing down on the penut butter sandwich she had just made.

"But my clothes are washing." I drifted off,picking up a clean glass and pouring in orange juice.

"You can borrow something from Mariana." Steph glanced towards Mariana, who was putting away a box of Honey Bunches of Oats.

"Huh?" She spun around, pulling her headphones from her ears.

"Let Hadley borrow some clothes." Steph ordered, kissing Leena on the cheek and picking up her purse.

"Fine, come with me." Mariana commanded, pointing her finger at me.

I quickly sat down the glass and followed her up the stairs.

"We're probably the same size." She murmured to herself, pulling open her double door closet.Within seconds she was rummaging through the hangers of clothes.

"Here, is this okay?" She asked, finally putting the clothes on the bed. It was a salmon pink collared tanktop and white shorts.

I nodded, grabbing the garments into my arms.

"Thank you.' I said, as sincerely as I could. She smiled, brushing past me.I guess I'll change in here.

"Hadley come on we're leaving!" Callie yelled from outside. I looked once more at the mirror, before sighing and pulling my hair out from the previous bun.

It fell gracefully onto my shoulders, in beachy waves.I picked up Marianas old backpack and swung it over my right arm.

I put on the white flip flops Mariana gave me and jogged to the door.

"Wow, Hadley don't you look girly." Callie stated, observing my- Marianas clothes.

"Thanks." I laughed sarcastically. Callie chuckled, putting her arm in mine and guiding me down the stairs.

"Guys come on."Mariana shouted, not noticing that we were already down the stairs.She glanced up from her phone, grinning.

"I knew you'd be pretty once you got out of those boy clothes!"She squeeled, rushing over and twisting me around by my shouders.

"The shorts make you look so tan!" She turned me again to my side, "Boys are gonna be all over you today!" She giggled, hooking arms with me, so that her, Callie and I were all in a chain.

"Mariana hurry up or we'll start walking!" Jesus's voice called from outside.Mariana rolled her eyes and walked slightley faster to the door.

"Calm down we were waiting for Hadley." She claimed, pulling Callie and I through the front door.

"We're gonna be late." Brandon said, looking at his watch. Callie and him walked ahead, leaving me once again between Jesus and Mariana.

"So how old are you anyways?" Mariana questioned, picking at her fading pink nail polish.

"14, Im turning 15 soon though." I stated, looking up at a flock of crows flying through the air.

"That's great so am i!" Mariana claimed, Jesus cutting her off.

"So are we, we both are." He said, not looking up from his phone.I held back my smile as Mariana started going on about cute boys.

"Aaron McCrain is the hottest freshman football player you'll ever see, he's one of Jesus's best friends so you'll def have a chance." She explained, and I sighed,

"You can have him." I stated, kicking a pebble into the street.

"What? He's gonna be all over you.You're ten times prettier than his girlfriend Jenn!And he loves blue eyes." She pointed out, motioning to mine.

I laughed, adjusting my bag to fit more securely on my shoulder.

"Oh look we're here." Jesus explained, sticking his arms out in front of him, "Finally." And with that he jogged off, over to a group of guys all sitting at a lunch table.

"Here we go." I mumbled, pulling the door open after Mariana.