(6) Suspicion

Picture of Delilah up top ^^

(6) Suspicion

Mary

I sit at the kitchen table nursing a cup of scalding hot coffee, trying to fix the hangover brewing in my head.

My mom sits opposite me at the table in her usual pale blue robe, reading the society pages of the New York Times.

"Rough night?" she asks me, not taking her eyes off the column in the paper.

I look up from my coffee cup. "You have no idea." I answer.

My mom knows I go clubbing. She just doesn't know that I get drunk and do drugs. If she did, I don't know what she'd do.

I turn my attention to Justin's room. I see him pacing across the room, phone in hand. He looked all fidgety and nervous, just like the first time we met.

"What's got him all worked up?" I ask my mother.

She looks up momentarily before bringing her gaze back to the paper. "It seems as though Justin's girlfriend Delilah will be joining us for dinner tonight." she explains, making my eyes widen.

So that's what he was talking about on the phone yesterday.

"Ahh, so that's why he's being all twitchy," I presume. "The infamous Delilah is coming to town."

"Yes," my mother adds. "and you'll be attending the dinner."

I look at her as if she's just committed a crime.

"Mom, what the fuck?!" I almost scream. 

She gives me a hard glance before finally putting her newspaper down and locking her dark brown orbs with mine.

"Mary Gloriana Romero! ¿Qué te dije acerca de ese tipo de lenguaje en esta casa? (What did I tell you about that kind of language in this house?")

Oh great, she's going all Cuban on me now. This should be fun.

"Lo siento, pero no puedo hacerme ir a algo que yo no quiero ir a ." (I'm sorry, but you can't make me go to something I don't wanna go to.)

"Yo no debería tener que obligarte a hacer nada. Debería quiere estar ahí para su hermano. " ("I shouldn't have to make you do anything. You should want to be there for your brother.")

"He's NOT my brother!" I yell in English as I stand up and storm away, completely done with this conversation.

I hate how she always feels as though she can control every little aspect of my life.

I'm 18, goddamnit. I shouldn't even be here right now. I swear, once I get a job I'm moving out.

If that ever happens.
--

Justin's been in his room the whole day stressing out about this whole 'Delilah' thing. It's quite sad actually.

I'm talking to Suki on the phone and she's all excited about Annie coming to visit her soon and she won't stop squealing and cooing and frankly, it's making me feel depressed.

Not that I'm not happy for my best friend, it's just that between her and Justin, everyone has someone except me.

And seeing Blake last night has really put me over the edge.

I hear the doorbell ring and tell Suki I'm gonna have to call her back. I stand up from my seat on the edge of the bed and adjust the bottom of my black (obviously) Pilgrim dress that I got on sale at Mandee for $15. I hated shopping at expensive stores. Something about the smell of strong perfume and snooty clientele skeezes me out.