4. To Hell and Back

She never got to tell him. Regina had been right. She should have told him sooner.

    "Emma, I'm sorry," Regina said. Emma just stared into the darkness all around them and slowly sunk down onto the bottom of the boat, hugging her knees to her chest. Regina and Mary Margaret sat down next to her. Emma leaned her head on her mothers shoulder.

     Mary Margaret sighed. "Emma, do you know what the one thing about true love that's always the hardest to believe is? That true love can't be destroyed, not even by the strongest sword in all the realms. We will find him."

    "I know," the Saviour replied. "But sometimes I feel like it's too dangerous for me to love. Everyone I have ever been with is dead." Emma smiled softly. "I warned Killian about that a few months ago. And he still loved me all the same."

Regina looked ashamed. "I feel bad for saying this out loud, but I can't help feeling that you're lucky for being able to have a child with the man you love," the queen sighed. "I will never be able to have a child with Robin. We will never be connected in such a special way. But I really am sorry, Emma. I will do whatever I can to help you find Hook."

"Killian," Emma corrected.

"Killian," Regina echoed.

    After dismissing Regina and Mary Margaret, telling Regina to discuss names for Baby Hood with Robin (Pistachio just wasn't going to work) and convincing Mary Margaret that she was fine, Emma sat alone, absentmindedly stroking her still flat abdomen.

       "Hey."

       Emma looked up to see Henry standing above her. "Hey Henry," she said.

       "Do you want some food? Sailing to Hell isn't exactly the fastest of journeys," Henry said, trying to lighten the mood.

       His attempt at humour went unnoticed. "Yeah, I guess I could eat," Emma nodded. "Peanut butter and onion rings?"

       Henry scrunched his nose. "More like whatever my mom can create in the fiery depths of Hell."

     "Right, magic," Emma said. Noticing Henry's face, she added, "It's what the baby wants."

     Henry nodded slowly. "I think Robin and my mom picked out a name for Baby Hood. Alouette. Kind of bird themed, like in the French Canadian song."

      Emma smiled. "That's a cool name," she said. "Maybe when we find Killian, and I tell him about the baby, we could discuss baby names. He'd like something that was ocean and sailing themed."

       Henry sat down opposite Emma and looked her in the eye. "I know you miss him, Mom," he said. "But we will find him. He's the closest thing to a father that  I have."

     This made Emma feel better."You know I love you, kid, right?" She asked, pulling him into a hug.

     The young author smiled. "Yeah, I do."