12. Stormy Weather

Emma and Killian began their ascent up the Dark Mountains at dawn, carrying a small brown sack filled with just enough food to last a day. Emma could hear the dead town beginning to wake, like a beast awaking from its slumber. She could smell the dew that covered the leaves and flowers; the whole mountain smelling very earthy. The sky was orange, pink, and red.

"Red sky at morning; sailors warning," Killian mused. "There'll likely be a storm later."

"Do you want to talk about it?"
Emma asked, knowing she was stepping on unsteady ground, figuratively and quite literally.

"Talk about what?" Killian asked, stepping on a shaky rock. He tripped and caught the ledge, climbing back up as he regained his composure.

Emma helped him back up onto the ledge. "Elizabeth. Do you want to talk about Elizabeth?"

"What's there to talk about? I have a da- daughter." The pirate stumbled over the last word, clearly still in shock.

"Yeah, I've been there. I mean I knew I had given birth to Henry, but there was still that moment of 'I don't have a son'. Now we've got another baby on the way." Emma sat down on the ledge. "Lets not talk about Elizabeth or Milah during our climb up the mountain. It's just you and me. Five minute break?"

Killian nodded as he sat down. Emma waved her hand making a bag of food from Granny's appear. They both smiled, looking into each others eyes. "Onion rings, I'm assuming?" Killian chuckled slightly.

"Yup," Emma laughed. "What kind of names are you thinking of for the baby?"

He thought for a moment. "Something swan themed," he grinned. "Like Odette, or Odile."

"Swan Lake? You know about that?" Emma asked, surprised.

"I was in your world for quite a bit, wasn't I? If I had a talking phone, I'm pretty sure I could figure out what a ballet was," he said, mistakenly pronouncing the 'T'.

"Bal-LAY," Emma corrected, smirking. "But I do like the name Odette. Eli also sounds cool though. It's a good name for a boy or a girl."

Killian nodded. "Do you know what this reminds me of? That first trip up the beanstalk."

"Ahh, yes. But I do like that we are on much better terms now."

"As do I, Swan."

Emma looked up and saw the clouds beginning to roll. Storm clouds. "Looks like you were right," she said. "That's gonna be one hell of a storm."

"Where could we possibly find shelter on the side of a bloody mountain?" Killian said.

Emma looked around. "Up there!" She shouted, pointing to a cave a little further up as it began to rain— no, pour— down on them. The two ex-Dark Ones quickly scaled up the mountain, which is quite impressive considering Killian's hook. They made it to the cave without many trips or falls, although Emma did obtain a large gash on her arm from slipping on a wet rock.

"Are you all right, love?" Killian asked, concerned.

"I'm fine," Emma said, wincing in pain as she clutched her arm.

"No, you're not. Show me your arm."

Emma reluctantly showed him her arm."It's really nothing."

Killian just ripped off a piece of fabric from the sack, before using it to bandage Emma's arm. "I'm not taking any chances."

Emma sighed, secretly happy to have someone care so much. "I guess we're setting up camp here."

"The cold stone looks very comfortable."

"Oh, shush. Just be happy that we're not out there in the rain; targets for the lightening," Emma said. "I'm pretty sure that that hook makes you twice as likely to get struck by lightning."

Killian grinned before settling down on the stone with Emma. "The lightening wouldn't hit a devilishly handsome pirate, would it?"

Emma rested her head on his chest. "It would if I wasn't hear to save you."

The pair fell asleep in each others arms, happy to away from the drama that still sizzled back at the apartment building. They each wore smiles on their faces as they drifted to sleep.