14. Goodnight

A whole week went by in which I managed to avoid Elijah, everyone pestered me a lot, ordering me to sit with them at lunch, but I always managed to find an excuse. Eli himself tried talking to me but I would just dismiss him and pretty soon we were back to how we began. We didn't talk to each other at home, just exchanged awkward looks and I actively chose not to sit next to him in class. As much as I missed him and missed the way he made me feel, it was less painful to not be around him.
"Are you coming for ice cream with us after school? Everyone is going" Silver asked as we strolled down the hallway. Usually I would jump at the chance to partake in any activity that includes food, however, I was on a strictly Elijah-free diet.
"I've got work tonight" I pointed out, faking an apologetic tone.
"Since when do you work on a Friday night? Come one, we're celebrating breaking up fr Christmas" she urged me.
"I picked up an extra shift" I shrugged my shoulders before walking off into my class and leaving her in the hallway, staring after me.

I decided to sit at the back, not really feeling in a participating mood. All I wanted to do was get this class out of the way and then go home to bed and sleep until Christmas. I'd wake up for food of course. My plans were interrupted when a six foot two tall statue of stupid decided to sit next to me.
"Hi" grinned Eli as he stretched out beside me.
"Hi" I replied nonchalantly, looking down at my text book in front of me. He didn't move to get his notebook or stationery out, meaning that he didn't intend to do any work in the next hour. As if it wasn't hard enough to concentrate in English, now I had to contend with a snoring lump beside me. On the other side of me I had Andrew, the heavy breathing, overweight guy who barely spoke a word. I didn't know which one of them was worse. Our teacher walked in and took her place at the front of the class, opening up her copy of Far From The Madding Crowd.
"So why are you avoiding me, Liliana" Elijah whispered besides me, now reclined on his chair.
"Shh" I hissed, trying to listen to Mrs. Streep as she recited an extract from the book.
"I know you were angry with me at the dance, but this is a little extreme, don't you think?" I ignored his croons as I stared viciously at the words in front of me. He was teasing me with his playful voice.
"Elijah Antonelli!" Mrs. Streep exclaimed "Will you sit up and get your book out please"
"Regrettably I left my copy of the novel at home today, Mrs. Streep"
"Hmm, regrettably indeed. Share with Peyton" she ordered before turning back to her reading. Suddenly, Eli sat up and was leaning over me, breathing in my ear. I slid the book between us, so that he didn't have to come so near, but he didn't move.
"I'll ask you again Liliana, why are you avoiding me?" his hands wrapped around my waist and stayed there. "Answer or I'll tickle". I froze instantly, he knew that I was incredibly sensitive and would most likely wet myself when tickled.
"Get your hands off of me" I hissed, as quietly as possible, but not quietly enough it seemed.
"Miss Montgomery, are you even concentrating on this novel?" Mrs. Streep exclaimed from her place of honour at the front of the classroom.
"Yes, Mrs. Streep, I am. Eli just lost his place and was asking for help" I lied quickly as Eli finally lowered his hands off of my body.
"Is that so? Well, if you've been concentrating so hard you should be able to tell me which of her suitors Bathsheba would be best suited to" she sat back on her desk cockily, ready for me to fail.
"Well, she's a young women with considerable status. Her best option in the Victorian era would be Farmer Boldwood. He's the most financially stable of her three suitors and of the most respectable status".
"Very good, you understand the context of the novel, but I want to know that you understand what Hardy is trying to convey, how is each character presented? If this were a modern book and status were not an issue, who would Batheba's best option be?"
I paused for a while, stunned by her question. Of course I knew the characters, it was one of my favourite books, but it really came down to a matter of personal opinion. So, I began tentatively.

"Well, Bathsheba is obviously very attracted to Troy, but it doesn't extend beyond lust because ultimately he is revealed to be little more than a charming liar. Then there is farmer Boldwood who seems like a viable option, he is loyal and kind but Bathsheba doesn't feel and kind of emotional connection with him and well, he only loves her because she is young and beautiful. So I guess that leaves Gabriel Oak who had always been a loyal friend to Bathsheba, her best friend in fact. They care about one another and she is able to be herself around him, unlike everyone else in the novel. Above all else she trusts him, she knows him, she knows where he came from and she knows he'll always be there for her, despite everything" I finished breathing a took a long breath, I knew the words I had said ran deeper than just analysis of the novel. It was an analysis of me, what I craved. Trust.
"Congratulations, you just got a head start on the paper of the same name that is due in next week. Good luck!" she smiled evilly as the bell rang, signalling the end of class and the end of the day.
"I briefly looked over to Elijah before I packed up my things and left. He didn't say another word to me, didn't pester me and made no move to follow me, he just looked deep in thought.