The Ball

Darkness.

It's what I was born in, what I grew up in and most likely what I'll die in. It's the only familiar thing I know and it's the only thing I'm not afraid of, even if it terrifies most people.

The cold, rough ground scraping against my exposed flesh. Pain erupts through my body as I slowly become conscious.

I struggle to open my eyelids but finally succeed when I see the all too familiar bars and realise I was back in the dungeon, but this time, alone.

Alone.

Ever since my experience with human experimentation, I was always afraid of being alone. Not the petty 'I don't have anyone to sit with at lunch' alone.

The more deep and meaningful alone when your all alone in a dark place and realise you have no one in your life because of what you've been through and what decisions you've made.

The kind of alone when you've lost everything and you can't get them back. The thought of never seeing your loved ones ever again and always being with no company, just left alone with your thoughts.

That's what I'm really afraid of. Maybe because I spent my childhood with needles in me, or maybe I'm just selfish.

I flinch when I feel my healing ability start to kick in. I feel my veins, my bones, my flesh move inside me in an unnatural way. An inhuman way. I clench my jaw and close my eyes shut. I can feel everything those sick bastards have done to me. I can feel my organs, my bones, my veins, everything. They didn't leave one cell in my body alone for their pathetic experiment.

I sigh deeply as I feel a headache come along, I roll on my back and stare at the dirty, concrete ceiling above me.

Ryder. Dante. The two of them were such good friends and had so many important memories together, and I didn't know any of it. There are so many things I don't know about him. How can I fully trust him when he tells me nothing?

So many emotions run through me. Haven't I been through enough? Should I start praying more? Go to a church? A mosque? Is God punishing me? Is loving this painful?

Even when I was an innocent kid I was taken and traumatised. My shrilling screams used to echo throughout the whole lab and I used to struggle so much they used to believe I was having a seizure.

It's ruined me. My urge to fight, my coldness, my lack of trust. It's all because of them. I wasn't always like this. I used to run around with my brothers and give them kisses, I used to play with other girls and do each other's hair.

Now girls are so frightened of me all they do is flinch and run away when I sit next to them. Now I have a crazy psyco lady who is planning something against me, and my boyfriend is a gang leader, formally known as my kidnapper. Isn't this the story to tell the grandkids?

I hear the cell lock hit the ground with a loud clang. My eyes shoot open and I immediately stand up despite my body telling me otherwise. Those guys might have ruined me, but they sure as hell didn't make me weak.

"Calm down. It's me" Dante's smooth voice says.

I still don't back off and keep my body tense, ready for any kind of attack. He walks in and sighs.

"Still don't trust me?"

I don't reply and look him up and down. He was wearing a well-fitted tux with a red tie. He looked good. Too bad he was gay.

And you're taken.

"Are you going somewhere?" I ask, changing the topic.

"Actually we are going somewhere."