Chapter 3

this gif kills me every single time. like i can be happy for the rest of my life by looking at this

Spencer P.O.V.

When Ms.Youngett said that Calum Hood had to sit next to me, I just wanted to crawl into a hole. Yea, I know that we used to be friends once upon a time, but that was the past. Obviously I wasn't as good as he wanted me to be.

I thought we were never supposed to be apart, stick together forever. But apparently I thought wrong.Calum was the reason why I never had anymore friends. He was my friend and just left in the middle of nowhere, and that broke me.

He made me insecure about a lot of things. Was I not pretty enough? Not smart enough? Too fat or too skinny? He said said that he'd always accept me for who I was, but he obviously thought something was wrong with me.

When Calum left me, I lost my trust in everyone except for my family. When someone walked in the hallway and said, "Hey, that's a cute outfit you got on." it made me think are you being sarcastic or really like it. There were a few amount of people who tried to be friends with me, but I instantly rejected them. I was scared that they would leave me too.

When Calum heard that he had to sit next to me, I expected to see disgust all over his face, but his face held no emotion. He just shuffled to the seat next to mine and plopped down. I waited for him to scoot his desk as far away from me as he could, but that never happened. Calum's no longer that innocent sweetheart, but the jerk of the school who probably fucked everyone. Well, all but me.

---

"Hey! Hey Spencer! Hey, wait up!" Luke called after me. I tried so many times to tell him that I'm not looking for any friends, but he's just not getting the memo. The poor boy barely has any friends, well his friends consist of the freshman math teacher. And she happens to be his mom.

"Spencer." Luke said when he finally caught up to me, heavily breathing since he had to run to catch me.

"Luke."

"I called you so many times Spence. Can I call you that? Anyways I'm going to go see that new Star Wars movie and I have an extra ticket. W-would, can, will you go with me?" he nervously asked me while fumbling over his words. That was the first time that I really looked at Luke. He wasn't ugly, that's for sure. He's just super awkward and no one knows how to approach him.

"Yea, I guess you can call me that. And why do you want to go with me?"

"Why Spence, you're like the realest person I know. You don't let anyone take you down, well at least I've never seen it. I kinda admire you for it. And I noticed that you don't have any friends, and you should know by now that my mom is my only friend. But, maybe we can be like pals or something." he said. I really didn't want to be friends with him, I really didn't. But at the same time, I kinda did. Luke and I were the rejects. We rejected everyone and got rejected by everyone.

"Sure, I don't see why not."

---

"Can I have your number Spence?" Luke asked me at lunch. It was the first time that he ever ate in a cafeteria, since he always ate in his mom's class.

I went to put my number in his phone, but before I pressed save, someone grabbed the phone from me.

"Looks like someone finally found someone who accepted you, didn't you Spencer?" Ashton said. Michael and Calum were right behind him whispering about who knows what (malum is real).

"The rejects finally found each other." he said. He looked at my number and then through the phone to Calum. Calum took out his own phone and put my number in it.

"Thanks babe, I'll be over later." Calum said, making his voice loud enough so that everyone could hear.

Calum gave Luke's phone back to me and winked. He grabbed Ashton by his ear and pulled him away with Michael trailing behind him.

"I wonder what happened to him?" Luke said out of nowhere.

"To who?"

"Calum/"

"Me too Luke. Me too."