The Story of Walt Disney

The Walt Disney Story: Magic Kingdom 

The Walt Disney Story film, which uses Walt Disney interviews and other recordings for the narration and features rare stills and film clips, was eventually released as an educational film and in 1994 on video cassette for purchase in the parks.

It was also an attraction that was located on Main Street, U.S.A. at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World'sMagic Kingdom.

Disneyland attraction

The Disneyland incarnation opened in the Disneyland Opera House on April 8, 1973, taking the place of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Many guests missed Lincoln, however, so the movie closed on February 12, 1975, enabling Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln to return to the theater. A Lincoln display and a model of the Capitol replaced some of the Walt Disney display in 1985.

Memorabilia related to Walt Disney from the Walt Disney Archives was displayed, including awards, letters written to Walt Disney by famous people and even an exact reproduction of his offices from the Disney Studio in Burbank. They were reconstructed from photographs and accurate blueprints and furnished with the same pieces that had graced them originally. The scene outside the window was a photographic backdrop which had been used at the studio when a replica of Disney's office was built on a soundstage for him to use on some of his television lead-ins. They were on display until 2005.

The Magic Kingdom incarnation ran from April 15, 1973 to October 5, 1992. The post-show area included an EPCOT Center preview center in 1981-82 and a Disney-MGM Studios preview center in 1987-89. The display area was reopened in 1993 to serve as a center for annual passport redemption.

From October 1996 to January 1998, the location that The Walt Disney Story once occupied became a "Welcome Center" for Walt Disney World's 25th Anniversary celebration. After the 25th anniversary events ended, the location was transformed into the Town Square Exposition Hall from 1998 to 2010. In 2011, the Expo Hall was gutted and transformed into the Town Square Theater, which opened on April 1 of that year.