Chapter 16

Emma's POV

I insisted on going to the airport to say goodbye to Niall. He said it might not be the best idea with all I had been through the past few days. He knew it got crazy there and he knew it would be emotional for both of us but when I said I wouldn't take no for an answer I could have sworn he was fighting to keep from smiling.

We we got to JFK it was absolute pandemonium. There was a group of what looked like a hundred girls waiting but the main entrance and they were surrounded by police. They weren't allowing anyone into the airport for the time being it looked like. Niall and I rode with Harry and Louis. They were asking me all about the past two days and how I was feeling. They seemed really concerned and that was really sweet. It was 4:30 and the boys took off at 6:00. Niall said they would be taken to a conference room to wait until it was time to board so they didn't get swarmed by fans.

We we got out of the SUV girls were shrieking. My head instantly started to pound. I understood why Niall said it may not be the best idea. I don't think I'll ever get used to this. We rushed past the girls. Harry had his arm around my back and shielded me from the crowd, Louis was in front of my waving to the fans but he stayed close and Niall was on my other side holding my hand tight and leading my through the madness. I felt safe with these guys, something I hadn't felt in years.

I could hear girls yelling "WHO IS THAT?", "WHY ARE THEY TOUCHING HER?" and even heard one girl yell, "IF THAT'S HARRY'S GIRLFRIEND I'LL KILL HER." Well, this was going to be fun. Not. As soon as I got in Niall told me to go with one of the security guards because he was going to go back out with Louis and Harry to sign some autographs and take some pictures.

When I got into the conference room Liam, Zayn and Perrie were in the room. Perrie ran right over to me and gave me a huge hug which was followed by equally huge hugs from Liam and Zayn.

"We have been so worried about you! Niall wouldn't tell us much after we left the hospital the other night. I wanted to kick that girls ass when she hit you." Perrie was so sweet. Hard for me to understand at times because of her accent but so sweet.

"You are all so nice. I lost it that night, I didn't want anyone around. I think I was just scared. I mean, no one even knew I was with Niall and I got hurt, what about when we went public. I was just over thinking things. But I can't tell you how much appreciate you all being there. I barely knew all of you and you were all sleeping at the hospital waiting for me to wake up." I was starting to tear up.

"We are all a family. Niall is one of my brothers and if someone he cares about gets hurt we are all going to stand behind him. If you're dating Niall, which I think you are since you're here than you're part of our crazy family now as well." Liam pulled me in for a hug and kissed my forehead.

The door opened and Louis and Harry came in.

"Where's Niall?" Zayn asked.

"He's with management. They are calming him down. A couple girls were saying some rude things outside." Louis wouldn't look at me when he told us.

"What did they say? It was obviously about me." I didn't really want to know.

"Nothing for you to worry about. We'll protect you love, don't worry." Harry said with a nervous grin.

I couldn't believe this was happening already. We hadn't even gone public and girls were already saying negative things. I was beginning to panic. I don't have a thick enough skin for this.

Niall walked in and looked upset but walked right over to me and pulled me into a hug. He rested his head on my shoulder and burried his face into my neck. He held onto me so tightly. I knew he was really upset.

"Ni, what happened?"

"Nothing Emma. I really don't want you to worry about things like this.

I looked around and everyone was trying not to be obvious about it but they were all listening to our conversation. I walked over to the security guards and asked if there was a private room Niall and I could use to talk and he led us into the conference room right next door.

"Okay, you're freaking me out and that can't happen. I have panic attacks and every second you keep whatever this is from me is one second closer I am to a panic attack. I would rather not spend our last hour together breathing into a paper bag with my head between my knees Niall." I was getting panicked, but pissed at the same time.

He sat down in a chair at the end of the table and put his head down on the table for a minute. When he looked up at me he had tears in his eyes.

"Do you understand how hard this is for me? This is the first relationship I've considered really taking public since I joined this band. I've dated girls casually but it's never been serious enough to announce anything to the fans. I want that for us. I want to shout from the damn roof of this place that you're mine but I'm so scared. Perrie had it pretty easy when she started dating Zayn but El and Dani got so much shit from fans when they started dating Lou and Liam. And god forbid a girl even looks in Harry's direction, they'll get death threats daily. I went out there and some of the girls were saying how they would find any girl that I was dating and hurt her. They didn't say it to me but I heard it. I'm about to get on a plane and I can't tell you when I'll be back. I'm so god damn scared to leave you because I don't want this all to scare you off. You'll get messages on Twitter and Facebook and somehow they'll find your phone number and they'll call you and harass you. You're gonna walk away from me, you already tried to once and I can't fix it from 3,000 miles away." He put his head back down and started sobbing. I was so taken back by what he said that I needed a minute to gather my thoughts and decide the right thing to say.

I walked over to him and turned his chair around. I kneeled in front of him and waited for him to look at me.

"I have been through a lot in my life and even though there were times that I wanted to give up and let it all break me, I didn't. This isn't going to be any different. As long as I know you love me, I'm not going anywhere. I won't walk away, I won't give up on us and I sure as hell won't let some crazed group of girls get to me. Come with me." I grabbed his hand and walked right out of the room and back to the entrance. He looked so confused.

"We're going out there so wipe you're eyes, I can tell you were crying." I wiped away tears from his eyes before I took his hand and walked him out the door.

"Hey girls, so Niall came in so quickly because he wanted to spend time with me before he left but I convinced him to come out and spend a little more time with some of his favorite people, his fans." I tried really and to sound as sweet and confident as possible even though I was pissed they had upset him so much and scared one of them was going to come tackle me and beat the shit out of me.

All the girls screamed and he let go of my hand and went to visit with some fans. A group of girls to my left were yelling at me asking me what my name was.

"Hey girls, I'm Emma, I'm Niall's girlfriend." I shook their hands and they smiled.

"You are soooooo pretty. Thank you for telling Niall to come back out!" I stayed there with them and chatted for a couple minutes while Niall made his way around the crowd. Finally he got to the group of girls I was standing with.

"Hello ladies, keeping my girl company I see." He had a huge smile on his face.

"Oh my god, oh my goooood! Can you take a picture with me? Emma you too?" The girl handed me her phone. Niall and I squeezed in next to her and I took the picture of the three of us.

"Alright ladies, thank you all for coming, I have a flight to catch. We love you all!" He blew them all a kiss and then took my hand and we walked back into the airport and as soon as we got past the doors he pulled me into a huge bear hug and spun me around.

"Em, that was brilliant. They were all saying how awesome you were. I'm gonna have to agree. I love you."

"What can I say? I like to kill people with kindness. Oh, and I love you too."