Chapter Four

Copyright © Georgie E. - Fruitea on Wattpad 

Chapter 4

"So, when are you next in?"

I sighed as I heaved my bag onto my shoulder. I leaned to my left, trying to straighten under the weight of a school days' worth of work and uniform.

Keet cocked a brow. "Tomorrow; Geoff's increasing hours with the tourists coming in and all." I waved my hands in faux cheer and Keet groaned.

"Don't remind me, one more person asking when the last boat tour is and I will scream. How am I to know when the boats go out, I'm not a boat freak?"

I sniggered, grabbing a chair as I walk through the restaurant area and turning it upside down. Geoff would have a breakdown if he saw something out of place. "It's eight forty-five, by the way."

"See; boat freak." She laughed as I rolled my eyes at her. "How's the training going anyway, Coach putting you through your paces?" I scoffed; Ian had started training me last summer after finishing a degree in sports science. He was good; thorough with more physiotherapy than any of my previous coaches. He was also cute; the reason Keet was taking such an interest in him.

"It's going good; I'm jumping through hoops with the Waters Race coming up."

"Yeah, yeah," Keet blew off my statement with a hand. "You know what I meant; how's Mr Ian doing?"

I scoffed, opening the door and letting Keet through. "He's good, coming down with a bad case of turning-twenty-three though."

Keet stopped by my side as I closed the door again, locking the door and pushing the key set through the post box for Geoff to pick up later. "Meh, its five years."

"Yeah, the length of time to do your sentence of illegally holding a firearm," I waved my hands in a cheer.

"Only you would know that."

I snorted. "You would too if you did the history of crime and punishment."

"Whatever Loser," she started in the opposite direction to me. She lived uptown Bowness Bay whereas I was on the lake front. "See you tomorrow, bright and early."

I groaned loudly, her laugh echoed in the empty night street, and started on my way home. Shop lights showed me the way home, fairy lights hanging from trees littered here and there. Everyone tried to put across the quaint aspect of Bowness, trying to hide that teenagers littered the streets every Friday and Saturday, that people did swear and there were pub brawls like in every town. They did a good job too.

"Are you trying to run out on me, Lou?" I halted in my tracks and groaned as I turned, my bag swinging and turning into a deathly weapon.

"Hey Kendal."

Since his magical disappearing act half an hour ago my stomach had been twisting. I couldn't decipher whether in anticipation or in fear of meeting him. It hadn't taken me long to decide not to meet with Kendal.

But he had my plan falling to shambles.

"So were you trying to escape?"

"You say it like I'm scared of you," I smiled. Silence fell between us. I huffed; "I have to go home, Kendal; I've been working all day and I have work tomorrow, so..."

"I'll walk you," he offered and my face twisted in distain. He fell into step beside me as we started walking downtown. "We can't have little girls running around the town this late at night."

I scoffed. "What do you want, Kendal; what's this about?"

"I'm glad you asked," he said with a smile as he stepped closer to me. I tensed and shuffled closer to the road. "I'm going to help you."