Chapter Six

Copyright © Georgie E. - Fruitea on Wattpad  

Chapter 6

"That's so sweet," Keet cooed across the room.

I rolled my eyes. As much as she shied away from any love-affair thrown her way, Keet fed on others' flutter-by moments. She had taken the start of my relationship with Beck on a drip system.

"Not really, I would have done it for Lou and you would have shrugged your shoulders. It's only because it's Kendal," Tristan groaned from the other side of the room.

"Careful Trist, your jealousy's showing."

I scoffed as Tristan rolled his eyes and went back to wiping the tables. His arms worked harder this time, moving the anger out of his arm and into the flawlessness of the table top. If he had known this was coming, he wouldn't have turned up to work half an hour early.

"I'm just proving a point, Keet." His eyes were downcast on the table and from where I stood I could see his reflection. He could move onto the next table, but he didn't. "If it was any other friend of Lou's—"

"But that's the point," Keet intervened. "Any other friend and I wouldn't care. Kendal and Lou have hated each other since they knew of each other's existence." Tristan's eyes moved to me in confusion and I warned him off with my own. "Why would he all of a sudden stand up for her?" Keet continued, oblivious to our silent conversation.

"Guys like their knight-in-shining-armour moments," Tristan shrugged off, his eyes still on me.

I turned away and huffed, not liking the knowing smirk on Tristan's face.

"What happened next, after Kendal stood up for you?"

I shrugged. "Beck was trying to get me to go out on this team bonding date thing. He was going on about this new diner up the road."

"Oh I heard about that," Keet cheered, turning I found the excitement in her eyes. "It's a proper sixties diner, rollerblades and milkshakes the works! We should go there the next time we have friends' night," she proposed.

Before either of us could react, Geoff came through the swinging door and sent a venomous look towards Keet. "You will go to no other restaurant, hear me?" His finger pointed to Keet, his eyes finding Tristan and I. "The in-flow is already slow at the moment; I don't want my big-money makers rushing out on me."

"You have serious control issues," Keet mumbled as she brushed crumbs off the table and onto the floor. Tristan bumped her to the side and started polishing the surface. Keet's eyes focussed on Geoff in contempt as she went to the next table.

Geoff shrugged, unaffected by Keet's words. He turned to me and smirked. I fidgeted as he crossed his arms over his chest and opened his mouth. "So, how did you get out of your rendezvous with your ex?"

I gaped. "You were eavesdropping?"

Geoff snorted. "No." I frowned at him. "Honestly, you say it like you lot are all I care about. No, I saw you and him the other day. And you were with someone else," he smirked. "Holding hands."

There was a gasp from Keet as she whirled to me. "Shut the front door. You didn't tell us that."

"So she probably told you she was only in a swimming suit."

"This is getting too weird, Geoff," I groaned. I dropped the j-cloth onto the table. Keet was giggling from his side, her hands covering her mouth as she looked at me in mirth. Whatever she found funny, I didn't want to know.