Chapter Twenty-Four

Copyright © Georgie E. - Fruitea on Wattpad  

Chapter 24

"Shit!"

My feet slid from under me and with my arms out like eagle wings I rebalanced myself. To think I had been doing this for years now and still couldn't gain my balance straight away. It was stupid.

I looked around; no one was able to see my clumsiness. The place was deserted; the team elated and partying at the centre of the lake, probably doing some strange voodoo dance around the trophy.

I exhaled, shook out my hands and made the final steps to the cabin. It was unlocked, just like I had left it. My hands still quivered around the handle and I squeezed my eyes shut; it was due to either my nerves or the cold water still seeping into my bones.

With my exhale I pulled the cabin door and moved down the steps.

Kendal wasn't where I had expected. He spun around at my entrance, metal spoon held in hand held out in protection. It dropped from his hand when he saw me standing in the doorway.

"Lou?"

"The one and only."

He laughed as he bent down and picked up the spoon. He was still in his underwear, looking very relaxed with his cuppa by his side. "You want one?" he asked, smiling as I eyed his coffee.

"Tea."

"Milky, no sugar." I smiled and moved to his side.

He pulled a cup from the cabinet and started on my drink. I could make him my personal barista the way he was able to automatically make my tea how I like it these days.

"So," Kendal turned to me as my tea bag stewed. "Did you win?"

I looked down at my hands, they were still wrinkled and water stained. I found Kendal staring down at me when I looked up; a brilliant smile blossomed on my face.

It had been a pivotal moment, the Races. All year I had been training; I had cried, I had screamed – Jeez, I had nearly died to win. I had put everything into it in the end, I deserved to win. And here I was, smiling like it was all I ever wanted.

"No," I said slowly. "No, I didn't win."

Kendal's brows dropped. "Must be in shock," he murmured. He stepped forward and placed his hands on my shoulders. "How could you have possibly lost, Lou?"

I shrugged.

Kendal sighed and leaned back. "Okay then, did Windermere win at least?" He smirked, hoping for the best for his team. I shook my head. "What the hell?" He huffed and crossed his arms. "You were right; I should never have given the spot to Willis."

I laughed. He was as childish as my team who had screamed bloody murder at me as I had flipped them off and made my way here. "Willis did well, Kendal. Windermere got second place."

Kendal raised his brows and puckered his lips. "See, I always had faith in him."

"You just—"

He hushed me, his hands cupping my cheeks. "Where did Lakes come then, please say it was a close third—" he smirked; "—I would be so happy."

I took his hands in mine and brought them down to my side. "We... don't have a place." Kendal's brows furrowed. "We forfeited."

Kendal looked disappointed; "Failed the drugs test, I always knew Troutbeck was on 'em." I rolled my eyes. "No, I'm wrong; was it Harlequin?"