Chapter Seven

Copyright © Georgie E. - Fruitea on Wattpad  

Chapter 7

"Come out with me."

I couldn't look away from that smile that seemed to hold the key to something out of this world. Wherever it was, I wanted to be there. The gleam in his eyes made the gnawing feeling in my stomach okay, it was normal to feel that way; it was anticipation.

"Come in." He let go of the goggles and taking a step back I let him in. He passed me and stood in the hallway looking around. I shut the door and slipping past him started up the door. "Give me five minutes."

"Cool," he called, starting up the stairs.

"Don't you dare come up these stairs Kendal."

"Or what, do you want your parents to find me downstairs waiting for you?"

"I think they'd die more if they found you upstairs with me."

Kendal laughed, seeming not to know the depth of my parents' hatred for anyone from opposing teams. My sour feelings towards Kendal went a lot further back than the competitions. But still, I had been with my parents, with Beck and everyone in school who sinned against those from the other schools in association with Kendal.

"Please, Kendal," I whined as I turned to face him.

He pouted but sat down on the step he had been standing on. I eased and ran the remainder of the steps. I left my door open so I could talk to him.

"So where are we going tonight?"

"Well I heard about this diner uptown..."

"Don't be a dork."

"I thought you were into dorks."

"Were," I stressed; "Past tense."

He laughed; it resonated in the empty hallway. "Seriously though, I have a lift into town. You want to go out with a bang tonight?"

My hands stilled on the black dress I was pulling from the rack. The last time I had gone out was with Beck. Actually, all my experiences with the city at night had been with Beck. We had stayed in this fancy hotel the first time, for my eighteenth birthday and it had been a blast.

Was I really ready to go back out there?

"Are you okay with that?" Kendal called. "I have a lift sorted and everything; we'll be there within an hour, the taxis booked for three thirty. I've had it planned with the guys for weeks but I thoughts maybe you'd want to come."

He was rambling, something I never thought to be in Kendal's nature. Taking the dress I walked to the doorway and looked down at Kendal. At the movement he looked up and smiled tightly.

"Yeah," I said, and he visibly relaxed. Just seeing that seemed to calm me. "It sounds like a plan."

"Well, hurry up; taxi's waiting."

"Yeah, yeah," I brushed off as I disappeared into my room.

~~~

"Kendal, this seems pointless. We're never going to find them in here," I called over the pounding.

It was a miracle he could hear me over the dance track. "Just a little further, Lou." His hand squeezed reassuringly as he pulled me to him. I looked up at him and smiled, the gesture falling as his hands went to my waist and pulled me to his front. "Just a little further," he murmured as I relaxed into him, crossing my arms over his own and rocking to the beat.