Chapter Twelve

Copyright © Georgie E. - Fruitea on Wattpad  

Chapter 12

You should see him! A total bang out of bang...

I scoffed as I sent Keet a response, along the lines of sending me a picture. There was no response, and however busy Wine Down was right now she could at least have had the common courtesy to respond.

Closing the app I went onto a game. When I wasn't juggling between the straps of my swimming costume, the meaning of the mole or balancing four dishes on one arm I was trying to escape the realms of Cocoa Crossroads.

Only as I made a four, making a striped sweet jelly bean, a notification pinged on the top of the screen and the game froze. As I cursed out Keet, my eye twitching, I realised that it wasn't her at all. I had been added to a group conversation, consideration of Kendal.

I clicked, the sweet music of candy land vanishing, and the screen turned white. Then there was a blur of text from too many people I didn't know. Some gave curt yes and no answers to the conversation, whilst others jeered about getting crunk drunk.

Only seconds later, when my profile picture must have shown seeing the last message, I got a message off Kendal.

You coming?

Before I could respond there was another message;

Please come.

And before I could say anything to that my phone started ringing.

I laughed, seeing who it is and accepting the call I said; "Could you not have waited five seconds."

There was a chuckle from the other side of the line. "I wanted to add that we could enhance the couple thing there."

"No one I know is going to be there, what's the point?"

"Exactly," Kendal reasoned. "No one you know is going to be there. We can figure out what kind of couple we are."

"I like the type we are now."

"I thought you wanted more than to make Beck annoyed, Lou, I thought you wanted him miserable."

I pondered that for a second, throwing myself back onto my bed. "This was your plan, Kendal. I don't know what I'm really doing – I don't know if I'm even doing anything."

Kendal laughed. "I was talking to Rydal today; you've more than annoyed him, Lou." I didn't want to be bitter but I smiled at the thought of making Beck feel negative; horrible, right? "And honestly, Lou," Kendal's voice dropped; "I want to have fun with this, with you. I'm not doing this just for petty team spirit."

"Or lack of," I mumbled.

"So is that a yes to the party?" I could sense the smile behind his words. And I too was smiling as I absentmindedly played with the fringing of a cushion my mum had bought from a trip to New York.

"I guess," I grumbled.

"Well then, I'll see you tomorrow... baby." His endearment brought on a bout of cackling. He waited in silence as I calmed myself. "Not baby?"

"Never baby."

~~~

"Are you going to leave the car, Lou?" Kendal teased. I twitched a smile, my eyes locked on the house across the street. It was like a tavern, one that you knew held treasures but you were too scared to walk to.

"They won't like me."

Kendal threw his head back and sighed; "Lou, don't be such a kid. You are woman, you must be yoncé." I stayed quiet, watching as the door opened and a couple slipped into the warm orange glow. "Come on, Lou, before my legs cramp and I can't execute the running man."