Chapter Fourteen

Copyright © Georgie E. - Fruitea on Wattpad  

Chapter 14

"Beck?" I croaked. My eyes moved to the girl up against the wall. "What are you doing?"

My hand had fallen from Kendal and I slipped into the room. The girl's eyes had found mine, filled with panic and tears. She was mumbling incoherently, her words marred by her upset.

Beck ignored me, his eyes glowing with hellish fire, smirk twisted like the devil's tail. One hand was playing with the georgette of the girl's shorts; the other was approaching her face. As if I wasn't there, he cupped the girl's chin, his thumb stroking her wobbling lip.

When his fingers slipped into the girl's shorts she screamed.

"Beck!" I snapped. I took a step deeper into the room, squinting for lack of light. He didn't even flinch. "Troutbeck!" I moved – I was like a bottle of pop; nothing and then everything – and grabbed his shirt, pulling him back.

My hands were slapped away, but not by Beck – by Kendal. Kendal's hands took the place mine had just been, but instead of slapping his hands he fisted the shirt and launched Beck across the room.

Beck looked around, confused, until his eyes met with Kendal's. His lips twisted in hate, he stumbled forward and then he saw me. He stopped in his tracks, his mouth hanging open. Behind me, I heard the girl leaving in hiccups and tears but my eyes were all for Beck.

"You're better than this, Beck," I whispered. I could feel Kendal's eyes on me now, burning with confusion. "At least, I thought you were..." I looked to Kendal now, gulping as I tried to calm myself down. To think I had dated this boy for three years, and thought he was the sun that lighted the lake, it was devastating.

"Lou..."

"I was so stupid not to see what a – a disgusting... mess... you are."

"Louisa."

I pulled in a breath, one that came high pitched and hysterical. "I thought you were the best, how could I not see you were anything but?"

Beck burped, swayed on his feet, and stumbled towards me. Kendal stiffened, moving towards my side and I found comfort in that. Beck sent Kendal a glare before his veiled eyes turned to me; "If I'm your best," he sneered in Kendal's direction, "why don't you get back with me?"

"Because—"

"Because she's dating me," Kendal interjected. "And I'm not planning on letting her go anytime soon." His hand found mine, brushing his thumb over the back of it. My chest tightened but I breathed a sigh of relief. "And we had better go," Kendal said, smiling. "You can join your friends wrecking Tay's house."

Beck watched, mouth agape as Kendal pulled me away.

His shock seemed to vanish though, and his hand grabbed at Kendal's elbow. "She's mine," he snapped.

Kendal's jaw tightened, his hand in mine becoming bone crushing, and his eyes narrowing to slits. There was a silence, more damaging than the grip on my hand. And then Kendal had let me go, I stumbled as he pushed Beck up against the wall and stepped forward.

"Get one thing straight, Troutbeck." Beck snarled more at the nickname than anything else. "She's not yours, never will be. You ruined that when you slept with that girl, when you disrespected her, when you lied about all those Fridays." He knotted his hands in the collar of Beck's shirt and thumped him against the wall. "She's not yours; she's mine."

If I wasn't a statue already I became ice at the sound of police alarms. "Kendal," I managed to whisper.

I needn't have bothered, Kendal had me in seconds and we were running; out through the kitchen door, to the garden. I didn't question our path, I didn't have to. I knew Kendal knew where he was going.