Chapter Twenty-Three

Copyright © Georgie E. - Fruitea on Wattpad  

Chapter 23

"Can't believe you just went and had makeup sex ten minutes before the race," Beck snapped.

I rolled my eyes. Coach had walked off five minutes ago, boarding the second boat; apparently Sirena was a bundle of nerves. He had been less understanding of me, biting my head off about my tardiness.

"What can I say," I said with the same vigour, "it loosens my joints; calms me down."

I looked over towards Brooke who was at the moment leaning against the railings, flirting with Harley who was steering the second boat to the starting line. If he wasn't careful he was going to wreck both his and Beck's yacht.

"Liar," Beck quipped. He swerved, turning to Harley with daggers and yelling: "Watch where you're steering your boat, Mate, do you want us to sink before we even start the race?"

Harley laughed, winking at the giggling Brooke, before putting his middle finger up at Beck. Beck laughed, nudging me with his elbow. Did he expect me to laugh? Maybe when we were dating but I found their immaturity... well, exactly that now.

"You didn't tell Coach, did you?"

Beck smirked; "What, about you and Yates?"

Your slap-down name has nothing on Kendal's.

Beck sighed; "I don't know why you would get back with him for. He's a dick." Takes one to know one... "Each to their own, I guess." I huffed and he seemed to get the message. "No, I haven't told Coach and I wasn't planning on it either."

I remained silent. We passed the start line, following the other team's boats to the second stage.

This race was quite simple, like an aquatic relay. Harley would sail as fast as he could to a certain point, Brooke would swim from his boat to Beck's where Beck would do the final leg of the sailing and I would swim to the finish line.

The speakers crackled and the man voicing the event counted down from three to one. A gun sounded and then the boats were moving.

I had always found it quite a serene race, one that only became intense when it was your turn and with my speed I was always put last, to shrink the lagging in the race. St. Anne's team was up front at the moment, but Harley was only a few metres behind, he could make up the distance in a minute.

I turn back to Beck; we didn't need to focus for another few moments. He was staring at me with unabashed concentration. I huffed and looked back at the water for a moment before my anger piqued.

"Is there something on my face?"

"Why would you do it with him?" I gaped, was he really asking me this right now? Couldn't he wait with his unneeded jealousy until after the race? "Actually, no – don't tell me that. But tell me, if you will so easily do it with him then why not with me?"

I scoffed at him and shook my head; "I didn't."

"Oh, don't try and back track on this one, Louisa!"

I didn't know what brought me to say the next thing but it came out as a yell, one that was heard by the members on the neighbouring boats; "I never did anything with him."

There was silence. Looking around I found Tahoe and Willis staring over, mouths wide in shock. I turned my back on them, finding nameless but familiar faces from Kendal College staring my way. I scowled and finally turned to Beck.