Chapter Thirteen

Copyright © Georgie E. - Fruitea on Wattpad  

Chapter 13

It didn't take long after that for the party to kick off. As Tahoe requested, the tunes started and the thirty at the beginning became forty, became fifty and then sixty. The place was packed, a claustrophobes nightmare.

And once the sky had sunk to the depths of the lake it was easy to lose people as everyone found heat in the house. I had lost Kendal for about twenty minutes. I'd bumped into my neighbour and had chatted to them until I realised that the boy who hadn't once left my side had been dragged away.

I had stood and smiled and laughed at his stories of university, about meeting his girlfriend and the scandals that had occurred. It sounded legitimately Upper East Side but I could hardly listen whilst I searched for Kendal.

Lewis had quickly laughed at me and told me to go and find who I was scouring for.

I should have ignored him and listened about the girl who was trying to sleep with professors to up her grades, or about the guy who he shared a flat with that was sleeping with girls five years his junior. I should have listened to things that repulsed me because that was better than the fear of not knowing any of the people pushing up against me as I slipped through.

I wiped my forehead as I escaped the packed hallway. How could Tahoe be calm right now? Last time I saw him he was dancing dirty with two girls, plastic beads draping his neck and a snapback backwards on his head. I could never be in his state of relaxation with this havoc around me.

It was whilst wildly looking around for that mop of brown that I stumbled on the spiked black hair. I sighed at the sight, shoving to the staircase where Jay was sitting alone.

"Hey." He looked up and smiled, patting the spot next to him. I let out an exhausted sigh and flopped down. "Have you seen Kendal anywhere?"

"Nah, last time I saw him he was with you. He might have gone to the loo or something?" A cheer came from the room to the left, the dining room, and I cringed at the thought of what was going down. "Where was the last time you saw him?"

"I was with my neighbour," I shrugged my shoulders. "It doesn't matter; I just wanted to find someone I know." Jay laughed and nodded in understanding. "How are you finding the party?"

"It's out of control." The way Jay said it wasn't in the ecstatic idiot way, it was more the Tahoe is an ecstatic idiot for doing this way. I nodded, watching as a girl shoved past me, twisting on her ankles, but didn't seem to mind as she giggled with her friend.

"He doesn't even know these people," Jay muttered as he eyed the girls. That too wasn't in the easy interest way, the look he gave was something a disappointed father would give. "He's an idiot to let them into his house."

"Are you even a little bit drunk?" I teased.

Jay smirked; "You wouldn't believe me if I told you how much I'd drank."

"Oh yeah," I ushered, moving closer when another stumbling idiot moved past me.

Jay laughed and leaned against the wall. "Yeah," he went to continue but someone caught his eye and words seem to be a loss to him. I turned, finding Naiad standing with a simpering sweet smile. "Hi Nai."

"Hi Jay," she gave a sad smile. I didn't believe it for a second and I was relieved to see Jay looked right through it too. "I'm sorry to bother you but I just saw Tahoe getting into trouble in the garden; he's trying to hose a girl."

I snorted, picking up the double meaning. Naiad shot a look, breaking her act for only the smallest of seconds before a smile plastered her bubble-gum pink lips.