Chapter 5

Greystar turned to his deputy.
"I agree. It is better if we don't send as many patrols into that side of the territory." He turned to the Windclan cats.
"Tell Rabbitstar when you return to him and be careful of snakes on your way to inform Shadowclan." Greystar said.
"Please, take some fresh-kill before you go." Greystar said with hospitality in his voice. Flamepelt nodded to the Thunderclan leader.
"Thank you Greystar." He said and dipped his head. Dustfeather guided his clanmates over to the fresh-kill pile. They only took small amounts for themselves.
Darklight, Rednose, Vineclaw, and Ashwing were giving them unwelcomeing looks. Snowpaw came up to them. Runningpaw was going to get a black bird from the pile so she could listen in and get something to eat at the same time.
"Hello." Snowpaw said kindly.
"I'm Snowpaw, the medicine cat apprentice. May I ask if you have any wounds or pain?" She asked politely. The apprentice they had with them looked up at her. Runningpaw sat down near them, not too close though.
"I have a pain in my paw. I'm guessing its just sore from walking so much." The windclan she-cat said. Snowpaw examined her.
"It is sore.. I could give you some traveling herbs if you like." Snowpaw suggested. Flamepelt turned to the white medicine cat.
"No, no. We're fine. Dawnnose and Mudpool gave Fernpaw, me, and Dustfeather some before we left camp." He stated. Snowpaw nodded in understanding.
"Well alright. Enjoy your food." She said and walked to the medicine cat den.
Runningpaw munched on her blackbird and looked up as Snowstrike walked over to her.
"We're going on a hunting patrol." Snowstrike said. Runningpaw nodded and ate the last of the blackbird and followed her mentor out of the thorn barrier.
Runningpaw watched as Willowpaw stalked a mouse that was rustling under a root of a tree. Snowstrike had brought her on a hunting patrol with Willowpaw, Ashwing, Vineclaw, and Firepaw.
Runningpaw stood next to the ginger apprentice as they both watched Willowpaw stalk the mouse. Runningpaw leaned forward when Willowpaw was close enough to pounce on it.
Willowpaw leapt up and threw her paw down on the mouse and killed it with a bite to the neck.
"Good job Willowpaw." Vineclaw, her mentor, praised. Willowpaw held the mouse in her jaws and smiled in there direction.
"Yeah, great job Willopaw!" Firepaw congratulated her. Runningpaw was about to congratulate her too, but paused when her ear twitched to he sound of scuffling.
Runningpaw turned toward the sound and got into a hunters crouch. She lightly set one paw after the other as she approached the sound. She slipped under the undergrowth to see a fat dove searching under leaves for food.
Runningpaw crept closer to her prey. She raised her hackles, then lept and clawed for the dove as fast as she could. Runningpaw grabbed its wing in her jaw and killed it with a cut to the throat.
"Excellent work Runningpaw. You are becoming an amazing hunter." Snowstrike called.
"Lets get this prey back to camp." Vineclaw advised.
Runningpaw flicked her ear when Willowpaw ran up next to her as they headed to camp.
"Did you hear that Shrewpaw is having his warrior ceremony today?" Willowpaw asked excitedly.
"No I didn't that's wonderful!" Runningpaw said. Willowpaw curled up her tail in happyness.
"I wonder what Greystar will make his warrior name..." Willowpaw wondered aloud.
"Well let's get back to camp first Willowpaw." Runningpaw said. Willowpaw nodded.
°---°----------------------------------------------°---°
"All cats old enough to catch there own prey gather here beneath the highledge for a clan meeting!" Greystar yowled. The clan cats came out of their dens or abandoned a meal and gathered beneath the ledge.
Runningpaw sat next to Volepaw and Goldenpaw.
"This is an important day for a clan. A apprentice is being made a warrior. Shrewpaw, come forward." Greystar instructed. Shrewpaw stepped forward with excitment and pride in his amber eyes.
Shrewpaw stood infront of the crowd of clan cats.
"Shrewpaw, you have shown your capabilities as a warrior and have never been selfish and always protective of your clanmates. Heatherear, do you believe Shrewpaw is ready to become a warrior?" Greystar asked.
"I wouldn't have had him do his final assessment if I thought otherwise." Heatherear answered. Greystar nodded his head and looked back to Shrewpaw.
"Shrewpaw, do you pledge to uphold the warrior code and protect your clanmates, even at the cost of your life?" Greystar asked.
"I do Greystar." Shrewpaw swore.
"Then from this day, you will be known as Shrewstep. May Starclan light your path." Greystar decreed.
"Shrewstep! Shrewstep!" The clan cheered his new warrior name. Shrewstep bowed his head and rejoined the clan.
"You will be doing your warrior vigil tonight Shrewstep. But I also have more news." Greystar said.
"Vineclaw has reported seeing a white cat is intruding our territory." Greystar said.
"I suspect that it is the elder from windclan. But if I'm wrong, it could just be a rouge. Keep your guard up." Greystar said, ending the meeting. The clan spread and went back to their duties. Runningpaw headed to the apprentice den and layed down in her nest of moss. She sighed and layed her head down and let the sweet bliss of sleep take her.