Chapter 7

Runningpaw blinked.
"I don't know. Maybe in a few moons I guess. She and Spottedpaw have been apprentices two moons before me and my littermates... Maybe sometime after the gathering." Runningpaw guessed.
"Oh. Thanks Runningpaw." Shrewstep said as he picked up his mouse and headed over to eat with Heatherear, his former mentor.
Runningpaw spotted Volepaw heading back into camp with Rednose. They had left to go training earlier today.
"Hey Volepaw!" Runningpaw called as she ran up to him.
"Hi Runningpaw." Volepaw greeted. He looked tired from the training.
"You did good Volepaw, work on your speed and you will be perfect." Rednose said. Volepaw nodded to his mentor. Rednose walked off.
"How's your training going?" Runningpaw asked.
"Fine, yours?" Volepaw asked.
"Good, Snowstrike says I'm doing really well in hunting." Runningpaw said proudly.
"That's awesome." Volepaw said.
"Sorry to stop the talk, but I'm really tired from training. Rednose has been pushing me pretty hard the past few days." Volepaw said. Runningpaw nodded and gave her brother a lick on the ear.
"Have a good rest." The she-cat said in farewell. Volepaw walked off to the apprentice den.

°---°----------------------------------------------°---°

A few days had passed and Runningpaw was excited to go to this moons gathering.
"I wonder what other cats we'll meet." Goldenpaw whispered to her sister. She was sounding excited but looked tired. That wasn't like Goldenpaw.
"Are you alright Goldenpaw?" Runningpaw asked. Goldenpaw shrugged.
"I just feel a lot less energetic during night." Goldenpaw said. Volepaw and Runningpaw shared a look.
"Well, as long as you're fine." Volepaw said, giving his sisters ear a lick. Goldenpaw purred and did a small bounce.
"Almost there!" Greystar yowled to his clan. The cats ahead of them clawed over the fallen trunk that worked as a bulky bridge.
Volepaw went ahead of his littermates, carefully clawing his way across. Runningpaw followed closely after him, her steps awkward on the smooth bark.
When they reached the other side, Goldenpaw bolted across, not using her claws at all. She stumbled at the end of it, but made it over.
"Did it!" Goldenpaw announced. Runningpaw rolled her eyes playfully at her sister.
"Come on. We should find places to watch." Volepaw said. Runningpaw followed after him with Goldenpaw on her heels.
Runningpaw confused when Volepaw led them into the crowd. She didn't see any openings.
"Where are we going to sit?" She whispered to her brother.
"There's an open spot here." Volepaw answered and pointed with his tail. Runningpaw could barely tell there was any room. He was right though. They sat down and looked around.

Runningpaw saw Thistlestar, leader of Shadowclan. Rabbitstar, leader of Windclan, and Greystar standing on the branches.
"Pebblestar should be here soon." Goldenpaw whispered.
"Look, I see the deputies." Volepaw said. Runningpaw had to stand on her hind paws to see.
"Theres Foxfoot, Mousefern, and Nettleclaw." Runningpaw said. Volepaw nodded and Goldenpaw was looking around.
"Look! There's the medicine cats!" Goldenpaw said, gesturing with her nose toward the group.
Hawkpath and Snowpaw were sitting with Longleaf, Dawnnose and her apprentice Mudpool, Tawnywish and Bramblepaw.
"I wonder what they talk about..." Volepaw murmured.
"Probably herbs and remedies." Goldenpaw suggested. Suddenly some commotion sounded and the littermates saw Pebblestar enter the clearing. He was limping heavily. Him and his deputy Hawkclaw walked over to the tree. Pebblestar hissed something at Hawkclaw and sat down at the base of the tree.
Hawkclaw climbed up the tree and joined the leaders on the branches. Thistlestar glared at him. They shared some words and Rabbitstar started the gathering with a loud yowl.
"As I have told all the clans, a Windclan elder has ran off and we suspect she may still be around the lake. Her name is Leaffern. She has a white pelt and one green eye and one blue eye. She is a lot stronger than you would expect." Rabbitstar said.
"How has Windclan misplaced an elder?" Hawkclaw asked. Runningpaw bent her ears back. The Riverclan deputy sounded like he was mocking Windclan.
"We did not 'misplace' her, Hawkclaw. She disappeared in the middle of the night and somehow got past Breezewhisker and Icepath when they were guarding the camp entrance."
"How could an elder achieve that?" Thistlestar asked.
"It doesn't matter. I just wished to report it. I also have an announcement that we have a new warrior. Fernpaw of Windclan is now Fernshade!" The cats cheered for the new warrior and then fell silent again when Greystar raised his tail.
"Thunderclan has two new warriors and three new apprentices. Shrewstep, Tigertooth, Runningpaw, Volepaw, and Goldenpaw." Greystar reported. He glanced to Thistlestar, giving the she-cat her turn.
"Shadowclan has a new warrior. Honeyspots has completed her training and is now a full warrior of Shadowclan." Thistlestar announced. Some cats cheered in congratulation to the orange and gold she-cat.
"Riverclan also has new warriors. Mothstrike and Silversky. Riverclan has nothing else to report." Hawkclaw finished. Cats cheered as the sisters grew shy from the attention.