Chapter 23

Runningwish walked over as most of the clan gathered, even the Shadowclan did but they excluded themselves from the other warriors.

"Thistlestar has informed me that two Thunderclan warriors have been communicating with a traitor in her clan. She does not know who it is in her clan but she wishes to tell me before she starts making accusations." Meows of shock rippled throughout Thunderclan. Runningwish caught sight of her sisters bright fur in the crowd she stared suspiciously at Tigertooth and noticed a glance he shared with Blackeye. What were they planning?

"Does anyone know about these meetings?" Greystar asked, his voice loud and demanding. No cat spoke and Runningwish held her tongue, she made a promise to her sister.

Suddenly, their was screeching in the crowd where the Shadowclan cats were. Snowstrike bristled and shoved Needleclaw away from Greystar.

"It's a trap!" She yowled. The clearing bursted into fighting, the Shadowclan patrol viciously attacked. Runningwish fought off a Shadowclan warrior she recognized as Snaketail, a brown she-cat who was a senior warrior.

The more experienced warrior got her onto her back and hissed in her face. Runningwish saw Greystar getting backed up into his den by a distinctive dark tabby and Blackeye.

Runningwish growled and kicked Snaketaill and scratched at her exposed bellyfur. Snaketail screeched in pain and darted away. Runningwish pulled herself up and ran over to the highledge.

She leapt up and attacked the two warriors.

"Runningwish!" A cat yowled behind her. Snowstrike sprinted in after her, immediately taking on Blackeye.

Runningwish shoved Tigertooth out, hoping that he wasn't doing what she thought he was doing. Tigertooth growled and raked her face with his unnaturally long front claws.

Runningwish yowled in pain and dug her thorn-sharp claws into his powerful shoulders. They were a whirl wind of teeth claw and fur as they battled all the way out of Greystars den.

Suddenly, a loud yowl broke the battling that made all the cats stop. It was Snowstrike.

"Thistlestar!" The deputy growled.

"Take your warriors and leave Thunderclan before we tear you apart." Snowstrike growled menacingly. Thistlestar narrowed her eyes at the white she-cat. She signaled with her tail for her warriors to come and they took off through the tunnel.

Runningwish panted, blood dripping down her muzzle from Tigertooth's attack.

"Barkfur, come with me." Snowstrike said. Ever cat watched as the brown warrior went up to high ledge and followed her into the den.

Shocked gasps erupted from the cats as Snowstrike and Barkfur dragged Greystars limb body down the highledge and into the clearing.

Everyones head turned as a yowl sounded from the elders den. Rainmist bounded across the clearing to Greystars body.

"No! Greystar! My kit! Snowstrike, please tell me this wasn't his ninth life!" The old she-cat begged. Everyone watched in grief and suspense as Snowstrike approached the elder.

"It was not his last life. He will be with Starclan momuntarily before he comes back to us." Snowstrike said. Suddenly, like she remembered something, she shot a look at Tigertooth. Her fur bristled angrily.

"Tigertooth, I saw you-I saw Runningwish trying to stop you as you cornered Greystar into his den with the help of a Shadowclan cat!" Snowstrike yowled. Cats parted, pulling away from the once respected warrior as he approached the deputy.

"No, Blackeye was trying to attack Greystar, I was trying to stop him-"

"You cornered him, you did this. I saw you- you attacked me instead of Blackeye!" Runningwish accused, stepping out of the crowd. His amber eyes narrowed at her.

"He needed to die- Greystar is to soft to lead Thunderclan! We need a strong warrior to lead us!" Tigertooth growled. Dewnose gasped at him.

"This is what Bramblestar worried about! He was right! You are just like your great grandfather! Filled with nothing but ambition and greed- when I was a kit we heard stories about how he tried to kill Bluestar! You tried to kill Greystar the same way!" Dewnose yowled.