Chapter 15

Runningwish returned to camp with her catch. Goldensky's kit will be special. That was all Runningwish could think about. Who was that cat?

She dropped her prey on the fresh-kill pile and looked around. Not many cats were out. Snowstrike was leaving camp with a patrol, Vineclaw and Lionpelt were sharing tongues by the high ledge and Runningwish spotted the elders coming back inside when Snowstrikes patrol left.

They had gone to bury him not that long ago. Greystar walked into the clearing with them, his eyes shone with grief, like dew on a blade of grass.

Runningwish spotted Barkfur walking out of the nursery. She twitched her whiskers in curiousity.

"Hey Barkfur. Why were you in the nursery?" She asked, trying to be polite to the senior warrior. His golden eyes lit up at the question.

"Hawkpath says Ravenscar is with kits. I can't wait until they're born! They will be great warriors! I know they will." Barkfur said, his gleaming brown fur shining just as bright as his joy in the greenleaf sun.

"Congradulations." Runningwish purred. Barkfur dipped his head in thanks.

"Thank you Runningwish." He said and walked over to the fresh kill pile to retrieve something to eat.

She watched him, her heart warm at his happiness. Suddenly, she was blinded, then a vision showed her Barkfur.

He was in the roots of a tree, clawing out at a fox that was boldly trying to attack him, she spotted two bundles of black and brown fur behind him, they looked to be apprentices.

The fox shoved a paw inside and clawed at Barkfur, cutting open his throat. He gasped as the blood started to swell, he growled defiently and scratched the fox in the nose, making it bleed and run off whimpering.

Barkfur fell on his side, gasping for breath. The two apprentices jumped over to see his face.

"Barkfur! No! Starclan please, help him!"