Chapter 9

"Welcome back." Goldenpaw purred. Her gold fur was bright and shinning in the sunlight.

"Hey Goldenpaw." Runningpaw greeted back.

"I need to speak with Greystar." Rednose said to Foxfoot.

"He's in his den talking to Hawkpath. Greystar can talk when she comes out." Foxfoot said as he walked around the camp, gathering a border patrol. Volepaws ear twitched.

"Is he going to tell Greystar what happened?" Volepaw fretted.

"If he does, why are you so worried?" Runningpaw asked.

"Tell Greystar what?" Goldenpaw asked.

"Runningpaw got attacked by a snake." Snowstrike cut in before the other littermates could say anything.

"I want you both to go see Snowpaw to make sure you're ok. I don't needed you joining Starclan any time soon." Snowstrike said and nudged the two of them toward the medicine cat den.

"But we-"

"I don't want to hear it." Snowstrike said as she stopped pushing them.

"I'm going to tell Lionpelt so she knows. Let Snowpaw check." Snowstrike said, then she walked away to find their mother.

"Snowpaw! You in here?" Runningpaw asked as she looked inside. Goldenpaw peaked past her siblings brown pelts.

"She should be..." Volepaw murmured, looking around.

"I'm here! What is it?" She asked from the crevice that led to the herb store. The white she-cat pulled out, her fur dirty with dry dust.

"Me and Volepaw got attacked by a snake while doing a hunting assessment. Snowstrike wanted you to check us out." Runningpaw said. Snowpaw nodded and ushered them to come closer.

She checked through their fur and sniffed them.

"Were you bitten?" She asked.

"Now, but Volepaw bit it." Runningpaw answered. She moved out of the way as Snowpaw stepped in front of him and checked his mouth.

"You're fine. Tell Snowstrike and Lionpelt there is nothing to worry about." Snowpaw said.
"Thanks Snowpaw." Runningpaw said and left the medicine cat den with her siblings only to be overwhelmed by Lionpelts worry.

"Were you bitten? Any poison? Are you hurt? Did Snowpaw examine you?" She asked and looked over each of her kits, even though Goldenpaw wasn't even there during the snake attack.

"We're fine Lionpelt! Snowpaw already checked us!" Volepaw said in an embarrassed voice. Lionpelt stopped and sighed.

"Good. I'm glad your safe."

"Are they alright? Rednose told me." Vineclaw said as he trotted over to them.

"Snowpaw checked them, they're fine." Lionpelt reported.

"Glad to hear it. How did you all do on your hunting assessments?" Vineclaw asked.

"I caught a few mice and a dove, but I missed a thrush." Goldenpaw said.

"I caught a vole and two mice." Runningpaw said.

"I caught some mice a black bird and a snake." Volepaw joked. Vineclaw purred in amusement.

"Well you all did well." Vineclaw said. Lionpelt nodded innagreement and brushed up against her kits, then left with Vineclaw.

"Are you alright?" A voice asked. Runningpaw turned around to see Spottedpaw and Lillypaw staring at them. Volepaws ears bent back in embarrassment once again.

"Yeah we're fine." He answered.

"You're very brave to attack a snake like that." She said.

"I think I saw it before Runningpaw did. It was nothing all that amazing." Volepaw said. Spottedpaw purred.

"Well it was very brave to risk your life to save your sister, I would do the same." She said and shared a glance with her sister. Lillypaw nodded.

°---°----------------------------------------------°---°

The next morning the littermates were woken up by Snowstrike.

"Come on. You don't want to be late to your own warrior ceremony." Snowstrike said and headed out. Runningpaw walked out of the apprentice den to see Greystar walking over to the high ledge.

"Come on!" Goldenpaw said as she pelted over to the ledge. Runningpaw and Volepaw followed after her.

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather here beneath the high ledge for a clan meeting!" Greystar yowled out, his voice echoing on the walls of stone.

The clan gathered under him.

"Today, we have three new warriors. This is a very important time in every clans life. Runningpaw, Volepaw, and Goldenpaw are ready to be made warriors." Greystar announced. The littermates stepped forward at the sound of their names.

"Snowstrike, is Runningpaw ready to become a warrior?" Greystar asked.

"Yes." Snowstrike answered.

"Then by the power that Starclan has invested in me, Runningpaw, you will no longer be known by that name. From this day forth you will be called Runningwish!" Greystar announced.

"Runningwish! Runningwish!" The clan cheered.

"Rednose, do you believe Volepaw is prepared to be a warrior?" Greystar asked, looking at the red furred cat.

"Of course." Rednose said. Greystar nodded and looked back at the brown apprentice.

"Then by this day fourth you will be known as Voleeye!" Greystar announced.

"Voleeye! Voleeye!" The clan repeated his warrior name happily.

"Ivyheart, Is Goldenpaw ready?" Greystar asked.

"She always has been." Ivyheart said with a purr.

"Very well. Goldenpaw, from this day on you will be known as Goldensky!" Greystar said.

"Goldensky! Goldensky!" The clan cheered. The littermates couldn't help but purr, but kept their mouths shut for their warrior vigils.

"You will remain silent while you guard the camp until the next morning." Greystar said. The littermates nodded and headed to the entrance of camp.