4.3

a s h t o n

The sun was shining, burning my skin and had me squinting my eyes as the sunlight was almost hurting them. Pearls of sweat was forming on my forehead and I gritted my teeth together while watching the game being played out in front of me.

All I could do was watch, because I didn't feel I was participating in it. Nearly 10 minutes had been played of the second half and the score was still 0-0. It was probably a great game that was being played for the audience, but I wouldn't know because the all my focus was on the frustrated blonde who strolled my side of the field.

This wasn't how it was supposed to be. I was supposed to be at my very best during this game. I was supposed to be the best and I was supposed to make sure all eyes were on me. I was supposed to make this the game that'd be writing my future, but all I could do was think about was Luke.

I hadn't slept anything last night, all because I was figuring out a way to tell Luke I felt the same, without him thinking I was only saying it for my own good. It honestly didn't work out that great. Really, it ended up worse than it already was.

But I did feel for Luke, I really do. It just took me two sleepless nights and a whole lot of thinking about how I was the worst human being alive, to realize I was fucking infatuated with the guy.

Mom knew it, she thought it was obvious. She was also quite pissed after I told her what I did yesterday, and after scolding me like if I was a little boy, she encouraged me to tell Luke the truth before my previous mistake would break everything apart.

And that turned out fucking amazing, didn't it?

I knew what I told Luke yesterday was fucked up, and he has every right to doubt me, but I didn't lie today. I know it looks more than suspicious to just suddenly change my mind before the game that would give me my sponsors and contracts, but I thought that it would be better to tell Luke before the game to not have him acting like he hated me.

Pretty sure he does now though.

I didn't believe the stuff he told me before the game, but after all the shit I've put him through these 10 weeks, he might as well have just given up on me. If so, I don't blame him.

I straightened up my posture and kept my eyes on the ball that was now kicked over to my side of the field. I ran my glove-covered hands over my thighs, making sure the grip was good before bending my knees to get balance and mobility.

My eyes glanced over at Luke who was running up along the right side, cutting in just as someone passed the ball through the midfield. I bit the inside of my cheek as the ball reached Luke and the followed with it. He held it close to his feet as he was reached the defense, but cut through and ran closer to me.

As he was as close as he needed, he glanced up before pulling his whole leg back to kick the ball in force, aiming it at me. Neo who was right behind him reached his side and blocked the shot, making the ball roll over for me to easily pick up and hold against my chest.

The shove Luke got when Neo ran up to his side made him stumble forward and crash into me, making me stumble back and drop the ball as I fell down while Luke was still standing.

"Hey!" Sam called and held his hands out as he turned to the referee with a irritated frown. The referee blew his whistle and gave Sam a disapproving look before jogging over to me.