Guilt and regrets

Arthurs POV

As I walk into our chamber I let out a frustrated groan and starts pacing back and forth until Merlin comes. I look over at him with clenched hands and sigh. Merlin stands still, waiting for me to say something. 

"Why did you use your powers to help me? Didn't you think I could handle him?" I say and throw my hands up in the air before placing them on my hips. 

"I didn't want you to get hurt!" He yells. 

"I could have handled it myself!" I yell back. "You don't have to protect me. I'm the king! You made me look weak." I spit and directly regrets it. The hurt on Merlin's face is enough to break my heart, but it's the guilt that makes it shatter into pieces. 

Merlin reaches for the door. "I was only trying to help." 

"Merlin, I'm-" He walks out before I can finish. With a loud sigh, I fall onto the bed, closing my eyes. I shouldn't have said that. He was only trying to help. Like he always does. 

After moments of not being able to fall asleep, I sit up on the edge of the bed. I shouldn't have let him leave. I should have followed him. I should have tried more. Once again I let him leave. The only difference is that this time he might not want to come back. 

Merlin POV

He was angry because he felt like I made him seem like he's weak? Still, after everything, he still cares about what the others think. He might even regret marrying me. He loves me, I know that, but what if he still rather would want someone else?

With teary eyes I ride into the forest without looking back. 

I knock gently on the wooden door and wait for it to open, but it doesn't. I knock once more. "Mother it's me. It's Merlin." Still, no one opens, and I realize that my mother was going away for a couple of months. The people out here's been accusing her for letting me marry Arthur. As she couldn't handle it anymore, she said she'd be traveling until it all settles a bit more. 

My eyes turns yellow an the door swiftly opens. Carefully I walk inside the small cottage and take off my cloak. With a thud I lay down on the small bed and close my eyes. 

My thoughts once again drifts to the blue eyed king. That spoiled, big headed little-. The sound of branches breaking makes me jerk up from the bed. Slowly, I stand up to look out from the window. While doing so the door opens. 

"It's just me!" Gwaine put his hands up in the air as I was about to cast a spell on him. 

"What are you doing here?" He must have followed me. 

"You left in a hurry, I noticed that you and Arthur was arguing. I was worried." 

"Was it that obvious?" He nod his head. "You could practically hear the two of you yelling at each other through the whole castle." I groan and put my face in my hands. 

"Are you okay?" Gwaine asks with concern in his voice. I  mumble a quiet 'no' and it surprises me that he even heard as he pulls me into a bone crushing hug. Even though it's awkward and uncomfortable, I hug him back. 

I haven't noticed before how good he smells. It's so familiar, since I've known him for awhile, still I haven't taken the time to appreciate it. 

"You'll be okay you know. And if not, then I know the best tavern to get drunk in." He says with humor in his voice as he laughs a bit. 

I hit him playfully on his muscular arm and look into his eyes. Which is yet another thing I haven't appreciated enough. They're beautiful. 

Arthurs POV

As I see them hugging, I feel nothing but jealousy. It should be me who comforts Merlin. It should be me who makes Merlin happy. A voice in the back of my head tells me to go running into the house, and break them apart. And another tells me to leave. But I do either of them. 

I freeze. My legs refuses to move as I'm forced to watch them stare into each others eyes. 

After moments of them talking, Gwaine finally leaves. But I'm still in to much of a shock to do anything. 

"Arthur?" Merlin's voice breaks as he sees me through he window. I look up to face him, tears running down my cheeks. 

-----------

I think this is the longest chapter I've posted. Well, hope you enjoyed. Comment your thoughts, I'd love to hear them out. Hope you had a great Christmas!

The song on the side is 'Say something' by A great big world and Christina Aguilera. 

Until next time.