twelve

Anna Holden

If anyone asked me what my thoughts are at the moment, I probably wouldn't be able to tell them.

Because right now I feel like sneaking into Niall's room and knocking him out with his own backpack, which doesn't weigh that much after all.

I guess that's kind of mean, because he doesn't deserve it. All he's been is extremely sweet, and that's part of the problem.

It's also not for the reasons you'd normally expect from a teenage girl alone with a guy in an empty house.

It's something... Not quite as perverted as that.

I'm just... Nervous. My feelings aren't entirely clear, and he really needs to stop messing with them tonight.

But I know it's not his fault, he can't help it. He's just naturally--himself.

And I can't help but fall in love with him.

I can feel our energy, and I'm sure he can, too. And however much I want to take things slow,
I'm sure that if Niall kissed me, even if only once, it'd do just that to both of us.

"Anna?" Niall's Irish accent rings out from outside my bedroom door. and I mentally curse. It's not that I'm not happy to see him, but...

"Yes, Niall?" I reply, somewhat cautiously.

Now he's standing at the doorway, peering into my medium-sized bedroom. It doesn't have very much in it: just a half-full closet, dresser, mirror, bed, desk, and blue walls.

Niall enters the room and comes closer to where I am standing, unable to move. "I just wanted to thank you for letting me stay here..."

I am shocked by his comment, but I know I shouldn't be. He's literally the sweetest guy I've ever met.

I quickly nod and smile. "Of course, no problem. According to my mom, you're welcome here anytime."

It's true. After telling everything I know about Niall to my mom, she thinks he's not like normal celebrities who pay girls to have sex with them, let alone the type who thinks they're above common house rules.

He chuckles, stepping even closer into the danger zone. "That's rather kind."

I just nod, getting used to Niall's presence. It's so warm, comforting, even.

I inhale and get a whiff of his strong-smelling cologne. Even that is familiar, manly, and refreshing.

He takes a step closer and examines a thin chain on my neck, warm breath blowing onto my neck. "What's this?"

"It's... A cross." I say, squeezing my eyes shut. It's hard to concentrate while he's here.

Niall just chuckles. "Your family is religious, then?"

"No, not really." I confess as Niall drops it, fingers slowly sliding against my neck.

"God, I hope you know that this is killing me," Niall chuckles, giving me his puppy dog look and reaching out to hug me again.

I gladly accept, hugging him back with all my might. Feeling his touch feels so right, for some strange reason. It is enough to convince me to make up my mind, permanently.

Finally.

"I'm sorry," I tell him honestly, "I really am."

He brushes my hair off my forehead swiftly and only holds me tighter. "Don't worry about it. You're worth the wait."

I blush. That could go in so many different ways.

"I-I guess I'll see you tomorrow." He shrugs, tugging at his hair and leaves the room.