twenty-seven

Anna Holden

I've never been to a party before.

Like, with alcohol, I mean. Besides those boring block parties my parents used to attend.

But part of the reason is because I wouldn't be allowed, and my mom would definitely kill me if I went to one.

Oh. Mom.

During the car ride back, I finger my phone in my palm and debate whether to call her or not. She could live perfectly well without full knowledge of what will take place tonight, but I'll feel extremely guilty if I don't.

"Anna? How are you, sweetie?"

Shit. I called her by accident.

"H-Hi!" I squeak, and everyone turns to look at me. Well, besides Louis, who is driving, and his attention is fixed on the road.

"Anna? What's wrong?"

I clear my throat and attempt to lie to her. "Oh, nothing. I just wanted to check in. How's... Ermm..." Where is it she went again? "... Florida?"

"It's wonderful, darling! I think you'd really like it!"

I catch Niall's eye and have time to mouth, "Mom" before she can ask any more questions.

"So, how was Ireland?"

"Amazing. I had a really nice time there. It was absolutely beautiful."

"And Niall?"

I turn a bright red and of course everyone notices. "Umm..."

"Anna, you can tell me," she teases.

"Niall... He's... Good..." I manage, staring out of the window, and everyone inside the car bursts out laughing. I shoot them daggers before she speaks again.

"Who was that?"

"Oh, those are just his annoying friends," I explain, and they throw many objects at me varying from napkins to shoes. Ouch.

"Just kidding, they're amazing." I gasp, and they all smile.

"That's good to hear. What do you have planned for tonight?"

The dreaded question. "I-I think they are throwing a party."

She gasps, then recovers. "Anna, be careful, okay?"

"Mom, I'll be fine. I'll be with Liam." I explain, trying to reason with her. Liam perks up a bit when he hears his name mentioned in a good way to my mom.

"Liam? What about Niall?"

I sigh. This isn't gonna be easy.

"Well... Liam is the only one who stays sober at parties, so yes, Liam." I tell her, bitterly anticipating her reaction.

"What? Aren't they... 19? 20?"

"Yes, but it's legal to drink in the United Kingdom at 18..."

"Huh. I guess they're adults, but I still don't like the idea of--"

"Gotta go, sorry! Bye!" I quickly hang up on her, and I know I'll never hear the end of it later. By then, everyone is near tears from laughing so hard and it's very embarrassing.

Two hours later, everyone is frantically setting up for the party back at Harry's, each being assigned jobs by you-already-know-who.

"How many people did you invite?" Perrie asks casually, clutching the plastic cups she and Danielle bought.

"Err... Fifty?"

"Fifty?" I shriek.

"Relax, Anna. I'll be there too." Liam reaches out a hand to comfort me. "We'll be the only sober ones together."