forty-five

A/N: Sorry guys, you already read this! I'm trying out a new format that will (hopefully) lead to a NEW update this time. bear with me, because some 10-20 chapters are about to be added.

Thanks!

- A

Anna Holden

"Wait, what? You actually did that?" I burst out laughing, accepting Harry's offer of the yellow sunscreen bottle, squeezing some over my arms and legs.

We don't really need it, as the summer sky is nearly faded and autumn chills have begun to set in, but I still use it anyways. It gives me something to do while I sit here awkwardly, not knowing what's about to happen or what my spontaneous brain will have me do next.

I still feel half asleep, woken only slightly by the caffeine in the coffee. Harry looks sleepy as well, but at least that makes sense.

"I had to. It was Strip Truth or Dare, and I only had my underwear left." He smirks in return, gazing at the vast shoreline ahead of us and stretching his tanned torso across the striped towel he brought from his luxurious hotel room.

We sit side-by-side under a shady part of the coastline, one of the only ones at the local beach, private but still inclusive.

There's no one else here, as predicted.

"So you asked him for--"

"A condom? Yes, yes, I did."

We both fall into the pit of laughter, unable to stop until sand sprays into our eyes and brings us back to reality.

As I wipe the grains away from my face and brush off my bikini top, I can't help but feel energized. I almost never have good, wholehearted laughs anymore, ever since--

"Let's go to the water." Harry suggests, breaking the now-fallen silence.

"Okay."

I wait for him to put on his Ray-Ban shades before sprinting as fast as I can to the water's edge, leaving him far behind as I dive in headfirst.

The pointy rocks cut beneath my feet as I float back up to the surface, but I ignore them. I feel alive as I feel the cold touch of the lake's interior, rejuvenating me for probably the last time this year.

"HOLD UP!"

I can't help but laugh as I turn and watch Harry, gesturing childishly and with such enthusiasm almost incapable for a nineteen-year-old boy, by a huge wave nearly about to descend on him.

"IT'S... FREEZING!" He screams, suddenly drenched from head to foot, storming over in my direction.

"Very classy, Styles." I mutter quietly, and he gives me a confused stare from a few yards away.

"What was that?"

"Uh... Nothing."

"Tell me." Harry teases, diving headfirst into the icy cold water and resurfacing quickly, fluffing up his hair.

"Wait... Are you... Missing something?" I blurt, analyzing his moppy curls and confused smile, minus his traditional accessory.

They are gone, as Harry remains in only blue swim trunks, green eyes clearly visible, and revealing his entire front half, inky black tattoos spread across his chest and toned biceps.

"No...?" Harry replies blankly, nervously chuckling.

"Really? Think again." I tilt my head away from his, near the verge of laughter.