thirty-two

Anna Holden

"ANNA! I'M GETTING MARRIED!"

WHAT?

It takes a second to figure out the voice, but when I do, I sigh with relief. It isn't Danielle calling to say that Colin proposed to her after all.

In fact, it is one of my older sisters, Katie.

At least she is 21, not 17.

"Oh, wow! Congratulations!" I tell her, trying to sound enthusiastic, but I have mixed feelings about it.

Is getting married to your boyfriend, who is still in college, the wisest move on the planet?

Sure, they've known each other from 1st grade, but they've never actually lived together before.

What if they get divorced?

WHAT IF THEY GET DIVORCED?

I hate divorce. It completely destroys everyone's lives.

Well, perhaps other people will have different opinions on that subject.

As I eat a quick microwaved dinner with Eleanor, I help her plan out a small portion of her wedding on the phone, deciding on going traditional in our local Church. I inform her that I do NOT want to be the Maid of Honor, because I'm absolutely no good at giving speeches, but she doesn't take it too hard. She will let my 30-year-old sister have that role.

We basically have no men in our family except on our dad's side, but I'm not entirely sure they were invited.

My adoptive dad included, I mean.

At long last, I am allowed to get off the phone. Eleanor smiles at me as I finish. "Your sister's getting married?"

"Yeah, she's 21 and she's getting married." I tell her half-heartedly. "Isn't that a little young?"

Her smile fades a bit, but she agrees with me. "Maybe just a bit. But, when it comes time, will you plan mine? Her plans sound excellent."

I'm deeply flattered by her invitation. I JUST met her.

"Sure, of course." I agree, smiling. I know she hopes to get back together with Louis, no matter how mad she seems to be a THR moment.

The rest of the night goes quickly, much less eventful. But I still love it, cuddling up next to Niall during a "family movie night" and eating about ten bags of popcorn between us all.

When the movie ends, it's midnight and we're all exhausted. Between the boys' interview and Eleanor's shop-a-thon, it took all the energy out of us.

Niall and I get the room again tonight, but I forget why. I get ready for bed before Niall, he said he wanted to talk to Harry about something.

I am deeply engrossed in a book until I notice Niall has come back into the room.

"So, what exactly does one wear to a wedding?" I think out loud, putting down my novel and realizing Niall won't know the answer.

As predicited, he starts to chuckle. "You don't know?"

"Well, do you?" I counter, cracking a smile. Imaging Niall in a tux in real life would be just heart-stoppable.

"Errr... No."

"My point exactly." I say, treading over the topic. "Didn't you take that girl Zoe to your brother's wedding? What did she wear?"

He sticks out his tongue at the mention of her name. "I think you know perfectly well what she wore."

"No, I honestly don't." How could he assume I knew?