Chapter 14

Careful to not wake him in the morning, I commenced my walk of shame out to my car and drove back home to shower.

I locked away the money and my guns and changed into my white summer dress that I always wore to Sunday barbeques.

The story behind the dress was that when we used to live in the area, our Mother bought both Tay and I white dresses for church, they were of course meant to be worn with a shawl to cover the neckline. But when we started to rebel against our parents we stopped going to church on Sunday's. Not that we turned from our religion. But we ended up going to a less flashy church in a less flashy neighbour hood. So we could attend with the Toretto's and then go back to their house for their barbeques, in our flashy church clothing.

I pulled on some gold and black sandals and Tay's gold cross, and put on a little makeup.

While making breakfast I dialled Vince, hoping that I wasn't waking him.

"Yo?" He answered.

"Hey Vince, it's me." I said my voice still sounding husky from last night's escapades.

"Oh hey, what time are you coming round the house?"

"Around 11.00. Is it alright if I bring some foods. I could make them the way I used to?" I asked.

"Absolutely, I always loved your food." He said slightly laughing.

"Okay I'll see you soon." I smiled.

"See ya."

With my newly rived energy I began cooking up a feast, just the way Tay and I used to do. I made  potato salad, chips, a pasta salad, and even biscuits and a cake. 

I closed them all up in containers  then packed them all in plastic bags.

I grabbed my keys and my phone and made my way over to the Toretto's. There were a few cars parked out the front so I parked across the road.

Vince saw me turn up and ran down the driveway to greet me.

"Hey gorgeous lady, need a hand?" He asked kissing me on the cheek and eying off the bags I was holding.

"Thanks, Vince." I said handing him one of the two bags.

He swung it over his shoulder and walked back up the driveway with me into the backyard.

That was when he saw Brian.

He shoved the bag at a guy I recognised from the photos on the fridge and took off.

"Vince come and help me with this barbeque!" Dom yelled.

"Looks like you've got all the help you need brother." He said, he then sped out of the street in his car. I continued walking in and took the bag off the guys smiling slightly at him before making my way over to Mia. 

"Hey baby girl." I said hugging her.

"You wore your old dress." She said with a look on her face, which told me she was feeling nostalgic.

"Yep and so did you." I said noticing her pink dress.

"Yeah well I didn't have anything else in the cupboard." Mia said brushing it off. "So what did you bring us, Vince told me you were bringing food." She said looking down at the bags.

"Come on inside I'll show you." I said walking up the stairs into the kitchen.

I place the bags down and named what was in each container as I took it out of the bag.

"Oh this is great, thank you." Mia said hugging me again. "I'll put them into serving containers. Can you take this out to Dom he needs it to put the meat in?" She asked distracted by the other preparations.

"Of course I can." I took the dish and walked back outside.

Dom as always was the one at the barbeque, with a corona in his hand.

"Hey, Dom." I said greeting him.

He turned around and looked me up and down with a genuine smile.

"I can't believe it still fit's you." He said pointing at the dress.

"Yeah, after Tay. I didn't want to forget anything. I had my Aunt Terry adjust it slightly so I could keep it as long as I could."

"Aunt Terry?" He asked looking slightly confused.

"Sam's mum." I explained.

"Oh yeah I liked her she was a cool lady."

"She loved you." I said smiling while shaking my head. "When I told her I was coming back here, she told me to tell you that her and Sam miss everyone here."

"Well Sam is a good guy, how is he?"

"He's 34 with three kids and a wife."

"Wow, really I never pegged him for a kids kind of guy."

"No-one did. But if you saw him now you would be shocked. You could be talking to him and he'll get angry but when his kids come in the room. He starts talking like a baby to them and chases them around the house." I said laughing at the memory.

He laughed too.

"Does he still own that garage?"

"Yep but now he has three and he's living a good life."

"That's good." He said smiling.

The conversation was casual but it was genuine which was what I wanted more then anything.

"Uh, Mia told me to give this to you." I said handing him the container.

"Thanks." He said taking it off me and returning to his cooking.

I left him to cooking the meat and walked back inside, that was when I remembered Vince.

"Hey Mia, I'm going to go out and talk to Vince. Don't start without us okay." I said taking off out of the house.

I knew he wouldn't have gone far, he just wanted to make a scene, and true enough he had parked his car just around the corner.

"I knew you wouldn't go far." I said approaching him while he sat with his back to me on his car.

He jumped up.

"What was that back there, what's with you and Brian?" I asked.

"I don't like him." He said leaning back against the car.

"Why's that?"

"I don't trust him."

"Why?"

"Because he's going after Mia."

"And you still care about her?"

"Of course I care about her."

"No I mean you still get jealous when she dates other people." I said which silenced him.

"Vince you need to stop. Mia doesn't think about you that way, she loves you like a brother and nothing else. I think you need to come back to the barbeque because we're missing out on good food." I said, leading him back up the path towards the house with his arm around my shoulders and mine around his waist.