Chapter 31

There were so many people at the bonfire more then there normally were and a lot of young people, making me start to feel old. I danced with Leon and Vince. While Letty and Dom sat near the cars and Mia danced with Brian.

I wanted to dance with Dom. But I think Letty still hates me from today's race so I didn't want to push my luck.

I took a break to get a drink from the cooler and when I came back Letty, Dom, Vince, Leon and Mia were all standing together. I couldn't see Brian though.

Mia was yelling at Dom for something and he and Vince were trying to calm her down.

Letty, Dom, Vince and Leon then walked away and got in their cars and drove off leaving Mia crying.

I stood by and watched as Brian approached her. Mia said something to him then walked away. He followed her and said something. She then looked at him in disbelief. After a few more words were said. They both got in Brian's car and drove off to follow Dom and the others.

Did any of them begin to think about me?

I ran over to my car and jumped in. I then turned my tracker on to follow Mia.

What is happening?

No.

They wouldn't.

Dom didn't want to go to the bonfire because he had other plans.

Plans that involved one last heist.

Now I understand why he's doing this.

He wants money so he can give the others the life they deserve.

Sorry Dom, but money on wheels doesn't come easy.

Dom's P.O.V

Once we got off the road. We all climbed out of the cars and began to get ready for the last heist.

"Alright we're one man short Letty I need you on the left side." I said pulling the covers off the cars.

"Your sister's right about this one. This don't feel good." Leon said as opened the door to his car.

"Something's wrong." Letty added.

"Stop." I said if they all had doubts this job wouldn't get done properly.

"We shouldn't be doing this without Jessie!" Letty argued.

"Look this is the mother load we've been on this for three months after this it's a long vacation for everyone. Let's go." I said getting in the car.

The others followed me out and back on the road.

"You do realise that we forgot about someone." Vince said fiddling with the helmet in his lap.

I thought about what he said then realised who he was talking about.

"Lexi." I sighed.

"She deserves to know what we're doing."

"No."

"So what? We're just getting lots of money out of the sky? Lexi is smart she will find out."

"She is smart but we still won't say anything."

"What about Brian? I still think he's a cop."

"Brian is unpredictable. We'll see how tonight turns out them we'll worry about it in the morning." I said.

Lexi's P.O.V. 

I was catching up to Brian and Mia. But I didn't want to get too close so I stayed back.

Brian better not do anything. Because I don't know if I could hold myself back, if he does.

My phone began ringing.

I looked at the caller then answered.

"Owen?" I answered. "What's going on have you landed?"

"Yes but there was some disturbing news waiting for me when I got back to the compound."

"What is it?" I sighed hoping this wasn't going to interfere with what I was currently doing and my holiday.

"It's Lockie, he was killed last night in a shooting."

I almost dropped my phone or ran myself off the road.

"Oh My God." I said swallowing hard trying to hold back from crying. "What the fuck happened?" I asked aggressively turning my sadness into rage.

"He had to collect some money for me and the people didn't want to hand it over. There was a struggle and he got shot." He said not indulging in the details.

I noticed that his sentences were short and brief with no signs of sadness or grief.
"Well who was with him?" I asked.

"Don't you care?" I asked as the tear dripped down onto the seat.

"No0one he was doing the collection alone."

"Alone? What happened to my orders of sticking together? Always going out with a partner to watch each others backs?"

"No-one else was available since you and I were in L.A. I gave him permission to go alone. Though I didn't realise that the people he was meeting with, had a new boss. Who wanted to send a clear message to me."

"You gave him permission?" I said shaking my head I had to stay on his good side but I was too angry to play nice. "What is wrong with you?"

"Baby how was I supposed to anticipate that things would escalate to this?"

I remained silent curbing my desire to yell copious amounts of indecent language at him.

"Besides dear, handling the crews movements and assignments is your job." He added fuelling my rage.

"Do you not care about the fact that you are he cause of that boys death." I asked as the tear dripped down into my lap.

"Of course I care. We lost another follower, and it's going to be hard to get someone to replace him."

"So what. A soldier falls, another stands in his place, no remorse just another soldier in your expendable army?" I said shaking my head.

I thought he changed. I hoped. I prayed that I could change this man. I tried and tried.

"The funeral is in two weeks. I expect you to attend for us.  You knew him better than all of us." He said.

"Of course I will be attending, the funeral will be paid for out of our funding account." I said in a haughty tone before hanging up on him.

I put my phone down, swallowed my tears and rebuilt my wall.

I won't let it fall down again.

It makes me weak.

Owen won't settle for weak. He needs ruthless, dangerous and someone who gets the job done. He's my boss and I need this job.

So for now I'm at his beck and call.

But right now at this moment I needed to save my family from life in prison.