Chapter 3

I'm nervous as hell. If I'm really going out tonight, then this is going to be my very first date... with a woman. Does it make me gay? I haven't mentioned it to Tia, scared of what she might say. I don't know what I'm thinking when I agreed to see her. Maybe it's the hormones that go crazy whenever she's around. Just this time, I am going with the flow. This one time and it's over.

I hope I'm not under or overdressed. I don't have much of a wardrobe for parties and clubbing. I even forgot to ask her what I should wear. I have a few which I bought from the excess I earn from the coffee shop. I really hope this dress will do. It's not so much of a dress but it's nice and cheap. I feel comfortable the way the fabric reaches to my ankles. The baby blue dress with spots of little posies looks very cool in time for the summer. It's the only maxi dress that I have which looks well with my strappy flat sandals. Another first that I get to rummage my whole closet for this dress.

I'm not trying to look good for her. I want to look my best on my very first date, regardless of who I am with for that day. I hope it's not too revealing. It seems that I have the right amount of cleavage showing. Oh well, I don't care. I'm not dressing for her. I'm dressing for the occasion. Speaking of, I hope I'm not late or maybe she is not late.

I reach the cafeteria at around 5:07 which means to say I'm late for about seven minutes. I don't regret it anyways. At least she gets to wait for her date instead of the other way around. I can see her slumped in her seat waiting and looking impatient. Her soft looking hair curtaining her face, you would never have thought that she's exuding too much confidence if you are looking from the outside. How long she must have been waiting, I don't know. Who would have thought she's punctual? Still I can't miss the killer looks. She must have dressed carefully like me. She's wearing walking shorts good for the beach kind. I can see the collar of the shirt she might be wearing inside another white tee. It may be coincidence that she's wearing blue inside. But overall she looks neat. Too neat and too bright for the eyes. I'm not used to whites though.

I try to calm myself before walking towards her but as I take my first step to her, she looks my way and I feel like I'm melting. My breath gets hitched in my throat. I cough. This is way too embarrassing for my first date's impression. My hands turn to water as I bear her eyes on me. I hesitated to move another step since her stares turn my knees into jelly.

She stands and saunters to me instead, offering her arm for me to take. "You look very nice." She exhales as if she had been holding her breath for so long but is suddenly relieved. Additionally, I feel warmer than the hot night air. Her gaze holds me fiercely that it's almost sensual. It's a strange feeling that I hoped I had worn liners. This is way too warm for comfort. I fidget beside her trying to think of a reply. She smells of fresh soap and toothpaste like she just got out of the shower. I chastise myself from thinking of leaning on her for a long whiff.

"Thank you." I mumble even if I am not sure if I gave the right response.

I don't know where we are heading but I trust her and let her lead the way. She offers her arm and having second thoughts, I link my arm and feel her relax. It's the first time we touched and already I'm feeling like being electrocuted inside. I shiver but I try to hide it. She smells calming. It doesn't have to be a big deal but why can't I breathe properly. I'm being light headed and it seems my heart is stuck and malfunctioning. I'm not gay, right? Since when do I have to ask that? Since when was I even unsure?

"Penny for your thoughts?" She says as we reach the parking lot. I'm not into branding or what, but I appreciate the sleek look of the blue car. I don't even realize that we are about to ride a car and that she even owns one. I haven't asked her yet if she's also a student here or what. I smile and take a step back grateful, as she opens the door for me.