Chapter 5

Coming up with a decision that is entirely confusing is really stupid. I realize what I have done when we stop the car in front of her building. It is peaceful out here. There's no one to greet or to ask for help. All I can hear is our steady breathing. We are avoiding each other's eyes but I can feel the tension between us. Maybe I'm more into testing the waters. Maybe I am not really naïve with this game. Maybe I know what I'm doing, and maybe I know what will happen next.

She looks at me, just plain studying me. She looks as if confirming if I really want to go upstairs into her personal space. I look at her and smile. I'm nervous. I can't get to say anything more so I wait for her move. All she does is stare. Are we staying inside the car?! Oh what the hell. I look forward and I pulled my side of door open. I step out leaving her gaping. I walked to her side and opened the driver's door. She watches me following my every move.

"I don't want to be stuck in the car all night, so can we go upstairs?" I say like an impatient kid.

"Right." She moves out of the car and presses a button from her keys to lock it. She races me into the entrance of the lobby and a doorman greets us.

"Good evening, Ms. Sinclair." The old man greets us and smiles warmly. "Had a great evening?" He inquires.

"Yes, Steve. We had an awesome night. Good night to you." Blake answers with the same warmth that extends to me and I feel myself redden with guilt of the night's events. The doorman nods as the elevator opens.

She presses the P button and we are back to awkward silence. The elevator is walled by mirrors with silver and gold braided railings. I must admit that the little chandelier adds up to the fancy look. I don't know Blake is up for fancy things. I am not fancy.

"We still have four floors left. You can change your mind." She simply says. She looks like she's having a headache with her fingers pushing into the middle of her brows with her hair covering the sides of her face while her head's bent down. I exhale and watch the number of floors light up one by one, trying to talk to my inner self and asking for the right thing. The elevator stops and opens and my inner self is not telling me to turn back. It's just not cooperating at this time.

She looks at me expectantly as if wanting me to take the lead to exit the little space or press the ground button and run for my life. I cross my arms and exit slowly taking in the steps I am taking going to her house.

"It's the door on the right." She says behind me. I walk to our right and see the door approaching. I let her lead the way for I don't have keys. She immediately unlocks and flips the lights on.

White. I see everything in white and wood. I remove my sandals and stay by the door. I hear her moving around her kitchen and she emerges with two glasses of wine. She hands me one glass and I'm glad to hold onto something.

"I bet you don't plan on standing there for the whole night." She looks at me and I am rooted to where I stand. She places her glass on the center table and walks to me. She asks for my hand and I oblige. She leads me to the couch and plumps the seat. "Sit." She says and she smiles at me.

I think my tongue went somewhere and left me alone with her. I look at her and she looks at me. Not sure what to do, I blink nervously as she eyes me seriously.

She gets the drink in my hand, places it beside her own. She holds both of my hands and tries again. "Do you have anything to say? Do you want anything?" she asks me with worry etched on her face. Oh, the woman could scrunch that nose. Haha!

I smiled of the thought. "Is there something you find funny?" she asks smiling. I shake my head. I am suddenly laughing. I don't know why but I find this all funny. When I look at her she has the biggest smile.