Chapter 17

The last time I saw mom and dad was a few weeks ago in our home. Mom preparing breakfast and Dad busied with his morning papers. I can't wait to see them again now. I wonder what they decided to wear for my graduation.

Since only two chaperons are allowed per student, I cannot bring Blake with me, instead she patiently waits in the restaurant where we are supposed to have our celebratory dinner.

I still can't believe that I am done with assignments, with the late nights, with attending classes. This is probably one of the best days of my life. I can't wait to start my new adult life. I wonder what will be the first book that I write. It cannot be about my love story. It's too sad to start with.

My phone rings and speaking of the devil, "Blake?" I excitedly ask on my phone. She probably encountered some problems with the reservation?

"Hi there sweetheart, I hope you are already having a great time? Are they already with you?" She asks.

"Nope. Still not here. Maybe another ten minutes, the ceremony won't start after another thirty so it's okay. Are you already bored out there? I'm so sorry I can't bring you here." I apologize.

"I'm doing okay. I just want to ask how you are. Uhm. I just wanted to tell you that I am so proud of you and you should never ever doubt my love for you."

...so here goes nothing, my mind says.

"I might not be able to stay until late after our dinner. Dianne needs me to accompany her to the doctor for her monthly check up." She continues.

"Oh. Yeah, sure sure. I am not expecting you to stay that late since we cannot leave pregnant women without company, can we?" I say with more enthusiasm than normal. I cannot believe I am dealing with her and their baby issues on my graduation. This is supposed to be me time. I will gladly let her off the hook if that will stop me from continuously stressing about them. I no longer want to care.

"Sweetheart. You do understand this right?" She asks maybe hinting the tone of my voice.

"I do. I do. I really do. You might not believe it but I really do. If you need to go home now, I will understand. If you cannot attend the night's dinner, I understand. You see? I am very understanding." I lie. These past few days and weeks, I mastered the 'lie to my face' thing. I even mastered the 'it's fine, I understand' look. I even perfected the 'I'm not hurt, don't worry about me, I am okay, I am fine, I am perfect stance'.

I now wonder when will I walk up to the stage and receive my certificate and graduate from all of this. Honestly, it is really tiring. I've never felt this much tired in my entire life, not even while I am studying or having shifts at Joe's. I should really claim my award with flying colors.

"Thank you for your understanding but I will still be here after you are done with the ceremony. We will still have dinner together. Okay? I'll be waiting for you. Happy graduation Lana." She acknowledges my triumph at least.

These days, I cannot appreciate a lot of things. I may acknowledge them, be thankful for them, say my thanks, but most of the time, I feel hollow. I feel weak. I feel like I am just pitied at. That these things done for me are not the will of the heart but will of pity. It hurts the most when it comes from the person you love. You will expect love in return instead you get mercy. I swallow the lump forming on my throat.

Today is a happy day, might as well enjoy it while it lasts. I press end on my phone.

Tia come crashing on me screaming as I slide my phone into the dress I am wearing inside my academic dress.

"I can't believe that we are did it!" She says as she holds me at arm's length. She shakes me and smiles broadly as if she just won the lottery. Then she notices that my parents are still not around. "Where's the folks?"