Losing Lorelei ~ Thomas The Tank Engine

“Damn it!” Lorelei’s dad punched the wall.

   “Calm down, Geoff.” Her mum soothed him trying to keep him from losing his temper, “When she comes back, we’ll talk to her then.”

   Liam was still reeling. Lorelei just looked at him like he was nobody. Like he would hurt her. Like he had hurt her. Badly.

   “That’s Lorelei?” Niall asked, “Liam, I thought you said she was…”

   “Quiet? Had shorter hair? Never wore make up?” Liam spoke partly to himself, “That’s what I thought…”

   Liam couldn’t get her face out of his head. He thought that she would just seem different, and that her personality would have of changed, he hadn’t anticipated that her physical appearance would be different too.

   But it was. She was still considerably short. But her slight curves had disappeared leaving behind her small bony frame. Her hair had grown longer, blonder and more straggly like it had been neglected over a long period of time. Her face was pale, big bags had hung under her light vacant eyes and you could still see them despite the heavy make up on her face.

   Her style had changed too, instead of the innocent, summer dress look. Lorelei had turned to the bikers. With her plain clothes, jeans, black boots and leather jacket. Liam knew just from looking at her that it wasn’t for the best.

   “I told you, she’s changed.” His mum breathed breaking Liam’s chain of on-going thoughts.

   “I didn’t think…What’s wrong with her?” Liam exclaimed.

   “Let’s go back in the front room.” His dad said, the boys backed up and they all took their seats again.

   Liam spoke next, “Why did she…Why didn’t she…Why?”

   His parents both shrugged and Zayn looked across and noticed that Liam’s mum was almost crying, “She’s different now Liam, she’s just completely changed.”

   “She completely ignored me,” Liam whispered, “She hates me.”

   “She doesn’t hate you,” Louis told him tucking his knees up, “She probably just hasn’t seen you in a long time and she’ll just need to warm to you again, right?” He looked hesitantly over to Liam’s dad for him to tell him that he was right.

   But he didn’t say anything, he looked down and sniffed, “That’s the thing Liam, we’re not sure what’s going through her head…But we do think that to help her…recover.” He finished, “It would help if you and your sister bonded. Again.”

   “And how can we do that?” Liam asked, he didn’t want to look to his mum, he knew she’d break down fully if he did. He could hear her trying to control her breathing to stop herself from crying and he couldn’t help but wonder how awkward this must be for the boys.

   “We want you to take her with you.”

   “Huh?”

   “We know you’re planning  a break, leaving the UK.” The boys nodded in unison, his dad continued, “We thought that it would be a good opportunity for you two to reconnect.” He sighed, “Of course it’s up to you but…It’s just a thought.”

   Liam nodded to himself letting the suggestion sink in. It was like his own sister…His twin sister was a complete stranger to him. Perhaps this was a good idea.

   “We’ll let you talk this through with your friends, after all, it affects all of you.” Liams’ mum whispered before placing a hand on Liam’s shoulder and leaving the room to the kitchen with his dad. They shut the door behind them to give Liam and the boys some privacy.