Losing Lorelei ~ Bye Bye Lorelei

A/N Listen to the song on the side for this chapter :)  

“Bloody hell, Lorelei.” Zayn ran his hands through his mucked up hair, “Where are you?” He was frantic since he’d split up from the boys to look for her. Liam was a wreck, as was everyone. And it was all his fault, or at least, that’s what he believed.

   It didn’t help that the streets were dark, the lamps hanging over them dimmed with every passing second soon enough only leaving the moon to light them up.

   “Come on Lorelei,” He breathed as a tear slipped down his cheek, “Where are you?” Zayn whispered wiping the stray tear away, unknowingly, another fell too.

   Lorelei took a deep, steady, brave breath as she trembled to her feet. She took a step back from the edge of the rooftop and took of her jacket.

   Her body shivered from the cold night that kissed her pale skin and with frozen fingers, she took out the packet.

   “No going back now Lorelei,” She whispered to herself letting a puff of warm vapour appear in front of her looking like a cloud of smoke, “No going back.” Lorelei took out the small plastic packet and lay the two pills on her palm then, with one big, dramatic swoop of her arm, she downed them in one.

   Lorelei waited, and after just two minutes, she felt the effects. She felt woozy. Tired. Dizzy. Peaceful.

   She smiled up to the night sky, to the moon, the stars, and the souls that she’d soon be joining. Then she closed her eyes, and a distinct memory flooded her mind.

   “Liam! No!” Lorelei cried out a laughing scream as she ran around the park, she and her brother were ten again. They ran around on the grass playing a game of rugby with their dad as their mum and two sisters watched from the side lines.

   “Lorie!” Her dad called laughing, “Over here!” He waved and Lorelei threw the ball with as much force as she could from her small arm just as Liam lifted her over his shoulder.

   Even though they’d been the same age, her brother had always been significantly bigger than her. Nicola cheered from the side lines as Lorelei squealed and thrashed around playfully trying to get her brother to release her.

   Liam however, ignored the ball and carried her over to the line where he moved her quickly, but gently, to the ground, “Touchdown!” He hollered.

   Lorelei jumped up laughing but stomped her foot, “No fair!”

   “All’s fair in love and war, Lorelei.” Liam rubbed her hair, “You should know that.”

   Shaking her head, Lorelei jolted herself out of the memory, the last thing she needed was second thoughts, she couldn’t not do it now. She was so close. Just one step.

   Lorelei took a step further towards the edge.

   One more.

   Lorelei looked down. “Just one more step.” She told herself.

   In doing that, Lorelei felt something wet resting on her upper lip. She looked up to the sky. It wasn’t raining, the night was just as still as before.

   Then, Lorelei noticed that her cheeks were wet. Raising her shaking hands. Lorelei rested her fingertips on her cheeks.

   They weren’t raindrops. They were tears.

   “I’m crying,” Lorelei whispered, “I’m actually crying.” She let out a short laugh as the tears started to pour from her eyes.

   Zayn recognised that laugh anywhere, he ran through the alley and looked around. He couldn’t see her. Maybe he’d imagined it…