Losing Lorelei ~ Harsh Words

Lorelei managed, after about a minute of crumbling, to compose herself. She took deep breaths and her breathing regulated pretty quickly, almost back to how it was before.

   She then realised what she needed. Lorelei scrabbled around in her suitcase and grabbed her lighter that she’d stashed away, she pulled a packet of cigarettes out and took one holding it with immense grip in-between her fingers.

   With a sniff, she placed something in front of the door to jam it shut. Then, Lorelei grabbed her phone and with her lighter and cigarette in hand, Lorelei walked towards the window and threw open the thin curtains.

  Then, she pushed up the window and climbing out, she sat underneath it, on the ledge, with her legs out of the window.

   The view out of the window was of the ocean. The waves lolled back and forth soothingly, the sand underneath looked soft and so Lorelei took a mental note of that for when she needed to escape.

   Lorelei lit up and tipped her head back, she sucked on the end and then after holding it in her mouth, breathed out the smoky substance. Almost at once, her mind was at ease.

   She then quickly pulled out her phone and tapped in Kane’s number, she only hoped that her phone still worked in another country. It did. And he picked up almost immediately.

   “Lorie?” Kane asked, he sounded a little breathless, Lorelei took another puff and sighed.

   “Yeah Kane, it’s me.”

   She heard shuffling in the background where Kane was, Lorelei looked out to the ocean again, it sparkled as the sun hit it, “Where are you? I thought we were meeting up today, but you never turned up.”

   “I know,” Lorelei huffed, “Something…Changed…”

   “What happened?” Kane asked, “Are you at home? I can come to meet you there.”

   “No don’t go there.” Lorelei told him, “My dad might actually kill you and besides, I’m not there.”

   Kane swallowed loudly, “Ok…So where are you?”

   Lorelei sniffed, “I’m kind of in…America…”

   “What!”

   “Well, California to be exact.”

   “Why are you in California?” Kane asked sounding almost frantic, not with worry, more with simple shock.

   “My parents sent me here with my brother and his friends.”

   “And you just went?” Kane asked in disbelief.

   Lorelei snorted a laugh before breathing in and out more smoke, “Well not by choice! You know how much I hate my brother.”

   “Hang on…” Kane said, he sounded more alert now, “Did you say with his friends?”

   “Yeah…”

   “Aren’t they…Isn’t your brother in a band.”

   “Yeah…” Lorelei still didn’t see where he was going with this.

   Kane clicked his tongue, “Aren’t they all guys?”

   “Yeah…So what?”

   “Well…I’m your boyfriend, can you really not kind of…see what I’m thinking?”

   “Oh hang on…” Lorelei laughed, “You’re worried that…Oh Kane, you know what I think of these dirt bags, I hate them. All of them. Trust me. You have absolutely nothing to be worried about.”