Losing Lorelei ~ Getting To Know You

“Jesus she can run.” Zayn muttered to himself as he propelled his legs to go faster and faster, Lorelei was only just ahead of him now but still powering on. And Zayn knew that if he didn’t act now, he’d slow down and lose her.

   So, he acted. Zayn lunged forward and tumbled into Lorelei so that they both went smashing down into the sand.

   Zayn heard Lorelei let out a strangled cry as he landed on top of her, and when they stopped sliding along the sand. He felt a pain in his chest. Lorelei was kicking him. Hitting him. Just doing anything that she could to remove him from her.

   “Get off of me!” She screamed so loud that Zayn could’ve sworn his eardrums burst, “Get off of me!” Lorelei was breathing hard now and almost sobbing.

   Zayn could feel her bones digging into him and so delicately moved himself off of her, careful not to hurt her any more than he already had, “Sorry,” He breathed, “But I needed you to stop.”

   He looked down to Lorelei who lay still, sprawled in an awkward position on the sand, the only movement was the frantic rise and fall of her chest and the gasping from her mouth.

   “Are you…Alright?” He asked cautiously, Zayn saw Lorelei nod slightly, but she didn’t move, “Do you want to sit up?”

   Slowly, Lorelei pushed herself up, sand covered half her front, half her back. She wiped most of it off of her face and shook her hair.

   “You sounded scared then,” Zayn told her softly, “Really scared.”

   “Well wouldn’t you be?” She snapped harshly, “If someone you barely knew was on top of you.”

   Zayn shrugged, “I don’t know, it depends if it was a girl, boy and if she was fit. And if I was enjoying them being on top.”

   Lorelei shuddered as the memories suddenly resurfaced in her mind, she took in a huge breath to settle her churning stomach and closed her eyes.

   “Something you want to talk about?” He asked.

   “Not with you.” She muttered.

   Zayn sighed at her stubbornness, “Fine, keep your feelings locked away but trust me, it won’t do you any good. A problem shared is a problem solved.”

   “Not all the time.” Lorelei told him, “Problems are always best kept to yourself, in my experience.”

   With a shrug, Zayn clicked his tongue, “Fine.”

   “Why did you chase me? Why can’t you just let me go?” Lorelei’s voice cracked and so she shook her head in hope that the weakness in her manner would vanish.

   “I’m going to have to deliver you back home to your brother-”

   “Deliver me?” Lorelei said taking immediate offence, “I’m not a package to be delivered Zayn, as much as people disagree, I am a person! And I do have feelings!”

   “Ok, ok…” Zayn said, “Calm down, I didn’t mean anything by it.” Lorelei crossed her arms with a short huff, “But you should talk to Liam…”

   “No I really shouldn’t.”

   “Oh for fuck’s sake Lorelei!” Zayn suddenly shouted, Lorelei jumped with shock, “When are you going to grow up?” Even though it was a question, Lorelei realised it was rhetorical, “Liam has done everything he can, he’s apologised about a million times so just do the decent thing and accept it!”

   “But I-”

   “No buts!” Zayn exclaimed, “Just do it!”

   “You have no idea what he has done! He cannot just make up for everything he’s done by one measly apology!”