Losing Lorelei ~ Epilogue

“Hello, Lorie.” Zayn whispered as he arrived to Lorelei’s headstone and placed the single red rose down on the earth as he removed the wilted one from yesterday. “I’m still sorry you know. I still miss you. And I still love you. Remember Lorelei, you’re beautiful.” He then kissed two of his fingers and pressed them up against her name engraved in the cold marble before letting yet another tear slip, and walking away.

 “She’s going to be alright, right?” Zayn asked before he whispered, “She’s got to be alright.”

   The ambulance sped away with Liam and Lorelei inside leaving the boys surrounded in a circle of dust and leaves.

   They got to the hospital twenty minutes later where they found Liam sitting, silently, in a chair.

   “Li!” Niall exclaimed, he ran over and hugged Liam tight.

   “How is she?” Harry asked softly.

   Liam didn’t reply, Niall released him and his mouth dropped open, but no sound came out.

   Zayn felt sick. Sick to his stomach. And dizzy. Really dizzy. He hadn’t stopped crying. He just couldn’t stop.

   For what felt like an eternity they sat there. Zayn’s hands trembled as he held them close to his face. Harry had an arm around his shoulders and rubbed his back gently.

   “Mr Payne?” Liam stood up and wiped his face as a Doctor emerged from the room opposite.

   “Yeah, how is she? Can I see her?”

   The Doctor’s face turned cold, “Mr Payne, I’m so sorry, but I’m afraid she didn’t make it. The trauma to her head was too severe. I’m very sorry, but we couldn’t save her.”

   “No!” Liam screamed as he fell to his knees crying like a baby. He’d just lost his sister. His twin. The girl he promised to look after and care for forever…

   Zayn let out a breath and a sob. She was gone. Really gone. He got up and looked through the glass.

   Lorelei lay still, silent and beautiful. Zayn turned and fled.

   Lorelei had crossed to the other side. To the better side. They all knew that, she was up with the angels now, she’d grown her wings and was where she belonged.

   Her grave was by small secretive church near to her childhood home in Wolverhampton, because that’s where Lorelei was at her happiest, in her younger years, surrounded by her affectionate family.

   They’d all mourned and grieved. Liam blamed himself, and Zayn for the death of his sister and the two rarely spoke causing a huge break of confidence and trust between the band, between friends.

   Zayn moved nearer to Wolverhampton, just to be closer to Lorelei. Because after she was gone, he’d realised how much he missed her presence. Her smile. Her eyes. Her snarky comments. Just her.

   But despite what they thought. No one could’ve saved Lorelei, and they’d see that eventually. Because Lorelei had been lost, and no matter who tried and how hard they did to help her, and bring her back.

   She was already, gone.

                                            Lorelei Jenna Payne

                                 Beloved Daughter, Sister, and Friend

                                   Forever Cherished In Our Hearts