04. love

Anastasia knew it was wrong, very wrong, of her but she couldn't help it. It just... Happened. She didn't know how it happened or when, but it just did.

She had fallen in love with James Buchanan Barnes.

She hated herself, in fact she was incredibly ashamed of herself for allowing herself to fall for him. He was only supposed to be a friend, and she was only meant to help him. There wasn't supposed to be any romance involved.

But one simply cannot control who they fall in love with. It was inevitable, and Anastasia knew it would happen from the very first time he truly smiled at her.

However, she also knew that it would be her downfall. She was only going to get hurt, he would never see her the way she saw him. He would never fall in love with a woman like her. She was his friend, and she didn't want to ruin all they had already because of her stupid crush, even when it was more than just a crush.

Still, no matter how much she tried to ignore her feelings for Bucky, her heart would skip a beat whenever she saw him, and butterflies would appear in her stomach whenever he looks at her. It was so difficult for her because they live with each other, and she couldn't tell anyone about her crush. Clint would definitely laugh in her face about it, Loki would blackmail her with her secret, and she couldn't get any advice from Sam and Steve, they'll just tell her to confess.

She cannot do that.

She didn't have any females to talk to, Maria and Pepper weren't close to her and Natasha really disliked her. All her other friends were out of the city.

She was on her own.

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

The music was blaring out of the speakers at full blast and laughter filled the room. Lights were flashing all around and everyone was chatting, dancing and enjoying Christmas Day except for two people; Anastasia and Bucky.

They didn't even bother to dress up since they weren't even attending the ridiculous Christmas party Tony had conjured up. They were roaming one of the other floors of the tower together but the sounds of the party could still be heard.

"It sounds like half of New York is here." Bucky grumbled, displeased with the loud music.

"I wouldn't be surprised if it really is half of New York..." Anastasia sighed.

"Hey you two!"

Both turned to see a very drunk and wild Tony down the hallway, waving his hand frantically at them while holding a glass of alcohol in the other. Anastasia internally groaned.

"Yes Tony?" Anastasia murmured, clearly not in the mood to be dragged to the party by Tony.

"What are you two lovebirds doing out here? The party is that way..." Be slurred, pointing to the opposite direction. Anastasia blushed at the mention of 'lovebirds' but Bucky remained unfazed by Tony.

"Not interested Stark." He scoffed, taking hold of Anastasia's hand and leaving the hallway.

"HEY! STOP RIGHT THERE!" Tony yelled, making Anastasia jump. He grinned madly and pointed at something above her head.

"Oh no..."

She looked up and her heart picked up speed.

It was a mistletoe.

"Are you kidding me?" Bucky hissed, noticing it hanging above them as well.