22. hope

Anastasia had a plan.

A horrible plan, but a plan nonetheless.

"I'm glad you finally came around Doctor Volkov." the man from before, who still refused to give her his name, stated happily.

Anastasia remained silent and smiled weakly, saying, "I'm glad to be out of that room."

"My apologies for our treatment, but you must understand," said the man, "we needed... results, like this."

She nodded, acting interested while she observed the facility. It was dull, with hard, concrete walls that ensured no one would get in... or out. She predicted it was situated below sea-level, meaning it would be harder for any escape.

They stopped at another room, with an automatic door this time which required a certain code, meaning it ran on electricity. There were no one-way mirrors, but there were guards.

"Here we are." said the man, grinning as he entered the code and ushered Anastasia inside.

The room was similar to the one she stayed in, but there were machines and tables full of lab equipment, chemicals and more. Most importantly, there were computers and monitors.

"Here is your work station," said the man, walking over to the equipment, "the chemicals are for testing and experimenting, the machines are for the human subjects," Anastasia swallowed, "and the computer is for research and records, for the future workers."

"I see." muttered Anastasia, walking up to the desk, "do I have a time limit?"

"As fast as possible. We already had a... long delay."

"Of course." Anastasia whispered. The man exited the room, locking the door behind him with a code and leaving her all alone. She began to work on a way to brainwash Bucky, like she was told to, but she had no intentions of actually finishing it.

After two hours of working and estimating that HYDRA had let their guard down, she walked over to the computers and began to inspect it. It was heavily fortified so there was no chance of her communicating with the outside world. However, she worked with Tony Stark and Bruce Banner, and they taught her some things that even HYDRA didn't even know of.

She smiled knowingly and began working on her only chance of escape. She used a little trick Tony taught her not too long ago before her capture, a trick that she didn't think she'd need until now. It would've been complicated if HYDRA blocked the way to achieve it, but they didn't know what the trick required, meaning she was able to successfully pull it off.

After several more minutes and a long list of codes and overwriting, the entire HYDRA base system shut down. The power was out, everything was off, everything except the computer in front of Anastasia. She also made sure that the door was kept shut as she tried to find a method to contact the Avengers.

Anastasia thought back to what Tony had taught her. She eyed the headset nearby, which was meant to be used to make voice memos but now could be her ticket to freedom. She placed it on her head, adjusted the microphone and worked on getting a message to her friends, or anyone for that matter. She recalled Nick informing her of the way S.H.I.E.L.D. agents contacted each other despite being halfway across the world. They operated using a satellite only agents, S.H.I.E.L.D workers and the Avengers knew how to access. Luckily for her, she was part of that exclusive group.

Anastasia jumped slightly when she heard banging on the door. She worked as quick as possible, panic creeping into her heart as she encountered more and more barriers. She tried again and again to gain access, using anything she remembered from school and from Tony.